I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is no way to disprove the existence of a cosmic God-entity.  I don't want to say something unprovable, so I don't say "there is no God".

However, the gods of various religions sure LOOK a great deal like creations of the human mind!  This is the hypothesis that best fits the evidence. 

I am one hundred and ten percent sure that god is imaginary and I know all religions are nonsense. My intuition tells me there is no god. I am just as sure that there is no god as I am sure that I exist and the world exists and everything around me exists. I never say I am agnostic and I never claim that I cannot be 100% sure there is no god and I never leave room for even the slightest bit of doubt. 

I know it's been said millions of times but I'm gonna go with you don't need to prove a negative.

There is no evidence for a god. What would "concrete proof against one" even look like?

The law of identity, one of the most basic fundamentals of existence and cognition, is enough that additional proof is not necessary. As if I need to somehow prove that I am not currently on Jupiter. My presence here proves I am not as any essential characteristic anyone can possibly give to a god is total abject bullshit and contradictory. It is not wise to say we cannot prove a negative. God is 0% possible. And if you disagree, you are saying that there is a quality of god that has a greater than 0% chance of existing. I would like to hear from a so called agnostic atheist what that essential characteristic that could possibly exist is and I will tell you that it is either metaphor, contradictory, or something we already has a real term for, like alien. God is now, has always been, and will always be total fucking nonsense.

Not quite 100% but pretty close. If there is a god, it probably isn't one of the major religions' concepts of god.

1) The virgin birth god born on the winter solstice has been used one too many times not to be a rip-off of Horus.

2) Why does god perceive women as inferior, and gays as sinners? God has the same attitude as a sexist homophobe?

3) Why are all records of the existence of gods tracked back to religious doctrine? Why don't the Romans have records of the crucifixion of Jesus, or at least Peter? Peter was supposedly crucified upside down. One would think his request to be crucified upside down would make its way into government documentation.

Sure there was a fire in Rome in 64 AD. It's hard to believe all documentation of Christ's records were destroyed. And why not the 3 Persian Kings who witnessed a virgin birth? After dwelling across the desert 6 months to witness a miraculous birth, they failed to record it.  

If there is a god, it hasn't revealed itself to humanity, because there isn't any evidence. If.

From what I've read it appears that after 150 yrs of "Biblical Archaeology", textual criticism & philosophical wrangling advanced theologians have given up on the God of the Bible. They have not even come up with a completely satisfying notion of what the term "God" really means. This is not a very concrete result especially considering the amount of time & mental energy that has been expended upon it. If this were a scientific research program its funding would have been pulled a century ago.

However, none of this is ever communicated to the faithful as rarified philosophical debate does not put bums in pews. Nor is it very good PR to admit that our advanced research program, which you the congregation have sponsored so generously for all theses years, has been totally inconclusive.

My point is that debating the probability of the existence, or nonexistence, of our Sunday school idea of "God" is pointless. If the greatest minds in Christendom cannot even agree on what is meant by the word "God" there is no way to meaningfully discuss the matter.

There's only one voice that can enlighten humanity as to the existence of a creator, and that voice is eternally silent. If one is gullible enough to believe what is written by ancient goat herders not knowledgeable enough to understand why the sun continues to rise and set daily, then there used to be a god that wasn't so shy, and that demonstrated its existence. What happened that this god no longer has that capability, or no longer chooses to exercise that capability? Could it be that its existence was finite, much like the rest of life throughout the universe? Maybe it's dead? Can we then just move on, please? Worshipping a dead god is about as useful as walking a dead dog.

I agree Jay.

99.9999999999999% certain there is no god.  In practical terms, that is 100%.

"Good enough for government work." was one of my engg. prof's favourite expressions. I think we have a practical measure of certainty here that we can work with. Actually, there are enough inconsistencies within both the New & Old Testaments to render the whole point moot without reference to any other sources.

I'm 100% certain that I don't "know" whether there's a god or not, but since the evidence is sorely and eternally lacking that would be required to elicit belief in one, I have no choice but to act as though there is not one. I don't need certitude to support a belief or lack of one. Christians, Muslims and Jews have been doing just that for centuries.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Susan Stanko replied to Sentient Biped's discussion What will happen if Scotland Succeeds from the UK?
9 minutes ago
Plinius replied to MattyLJ's discussion Are you clean and organized?
53 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
57 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
2 hours ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web

Music by Viking Trance with video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Video London (UK) 2014. Viking Trance Radio www.vikingtrance.com Viking Trance buy link
2 hours ago
Man boob posted a status
"CHECK OUT THE SONGS I UPLOADED ON MY PROFILE WOOOOOOOOO"
2 hours ago
Man boob posted songs
2 hours ago
Rick posted a blog post
3 hours ago
Rick posted a status
"Pondering....pondering......pondering...."
3 hours ago
Jonathan Tweet replied to Freethinker31's discussion Are Atheists too judgmental??
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post I am offended
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service