I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marc, I'll speak very slowly. You assert that it is possible for something to be both true and false. In ordinary human language, this means that you are saying that such a thing can be true. In mathematical terms, you are very definitely asserting that:

(True AND False) = True (at least in some cases)

You say that you are asserting that:

(True AND False) = (True AND False)

(and only (True AND False))

But of course by saying that some condition can hold, you are saying that it can be true. Just regular old true.

You also say that it is possible for something to not be both true and false. In ordinary human language you are saying that such a thing can be false. You are thereby equating the logical states of true and false. If you do this, then there is no such thing as true and no such thing as false. There is just an epistemological paste.

I'm on quite firm ground insisting that this is nonsense. You are speaking in vapors by insisting that things can be both true and false. If you truly believe this, then you are rejecting the very concepts of true and false. In so doing, you invalidate your own assertion.

You can stand and stare speechless if you like, but I'm not the loony one here. Accusing me of being illogical when I insist on hewing to the bedrock principles of logic is pretty rich. You're the one attempting to destroy logic itself. And somehow I'm the radical here? Don't think so.

I am 100% positive that there is no form of a god out there.

I've been forced to take some Art History classes as per the requirements for the program I'm in, and it's much more interesting that I thought. Since the majority of early art is related to religion, we discuss it a lot in class, specifically the Big Three - Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

The more we talk about them, and their origins, the more I realize that they're just bullshit cults made up by people who were simply trying to figure out how the world worked. Christianity specifically has borrowed almost everything from earlier pagan religions, and this alone makes it impossible to doubt in the slightest that there is no god. People made it, and people maintain it.

After 3 decades of asking him/her to reveal him/herself to me, I would have to confidently say there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of God's existence.

Nothing=something=nothing=nonsense.

The 'potential' of nothing is still nothing.

"Perhaps the potential of nothing is everything"

Time being the "big hill" to climb here. 

"According to quantum mechanics, anything that is possible is mandatory"

~ Leonard Susskind; Black Hole Wars

People who take Susskind's quip seriously will also take "QM proves that QM doesn't exist" seriously.

The problem with 'nothing' is that even though it seems a perfectly valid concept it is impossible for a mere human to envision (much less describe) just what 'nothing' is. No matter how hard we try we cannot even imagine 'nothing'. It is much like infinity; while we may be able to contemplate it, understanding it seems improbable. Especially when discussing time as we intuitively assume a 'beginning'; if infinity extends in both directions of our 'arrow' then beginnings and ends have ceased having meaning. 

Potential automatically assumes that there is something there on which it can act.

Me, I find existential solace with the concept of infinite universes and dimensions. This makes everything not only possible but inevitable. Perhaps we continually pop in and out of existence here in this dimension only it happens so fast that we can not measure it.

Now all I got to do is prove it. Here's is how I see the problem:

(+/-)T(time) multiplied by the square root of infinity= NOW (No Other When)

Of course I am 'probably' wrong, but I avoid occupying two places at the same time this way. Then again, 'potentially', I may be right.

Go figure.

Is "potential" the same thing as "probability"?

Lol...yeah. Seeing is believing but first, lets see some lightning bolts and flying or whatever people think god does (besides nothing) nowadays. And even then I'd want nothing to do with him and his religion. I mean, seriously, who wants to spend eternity with an omnipotent voyeuristic sadist, Jerry Faldwell, and Pat Robinson anyway? Now, that's my idea of hell!

99.9% - Anytime in history when there has been an unknown - a god has been the default explanation.  Fortunately, we have science to battle against sky gods and eventually it will answer humanities toughest questions.

...eventually [science] will answer humanities toughest questions.

I have no faith in that.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service