I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 8767

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Replace 'identity' by 'information content' as from Shannon and Hawking. I think that's what he means. Might've meant something else.

Sure Dean,

But what about? We agree on gnostic atheism and for the same reason. The possibility of god is not reasonable.

On phrasing the existential argument against god to counter the abused "can't know the unknowable". Start by putting limits and boundaries on the unknown. The overall goal is to make impotent such 'beyond comprehension' arguments along the lines of how quantum physicists are reducing error due to Heisenberg by 'squeezing' the probability distribution, as predicted by the 'Heisenberg Compensator' of Star Trek:TNG.

Do I understand what you wrote? "Beyond comprehension" is getting smaller and smaller because of quantum physics?

Assuming the total amount of knowledge is a finite amount, and assuming quantum physics is in fact a correct theory, then yes - that makes perfect sense. However, I think right now we don't know what we don't know, and the more we learn, the more we realize how much we don't know. Which is a perfect place to be for scientists :)

ABSOLUTELY! Living in the question is a whole lot more interesting than living in the answer. 

No and yes.  It's the 'limits and boundaries on the unknown' that makes it smaller.  The 'Heisenberg Compensator' was a metaphor but QM per se has nothing to do with the matter. 

I think it requires a certain level of faith to be atheist, which is why I'm agnostic.

Atheism is a rejection of theism at it's core is it not? But do to mankind's current limitation in technology and science, a lack of some sort of higher being cannot be conclusively tested by the scientific method. Therefore, there is no proof making Atheism just as much a faith as any religion because it requires a belief in something without proof.

Frankly, I love atheists because I think as a whole, they're more logical than the religious. They also generally support the sciences more, thereby helping us all move further. But we have to all keep in mind that it's OK to keep an open mind, especially when we converse with our religious friends. If we come across as arrogant know-it-alls then we discourage people from the ideals of the non-theist.

No, atheism has NO faith involved. It's not a _faith_ that god/gods do not exist. It's simply a position that due to lack of evidence for this existence, it's extremely improbable.

Who's to say it's extremely improbable? How do you even begin to work out statistical probability for the existence or non-existence of something? Whether or not you would acknowledge it, there is a leap you have to make to make a decision about something that can't be proven.

James, if atheism is a kind of faith, then the absence of horses is a kind of horse. You're talking nonsense. One need not have faith to know that fiction is not real.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service