I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 9677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Books that argue for the existence of gods are definitely subjective.

The most sensible answer is by Sansdeity.

99.99% there is no god, and the other 0.1% is highly skeptical 

Neill Pash

I always fail to undrestand why anybody retains that 0.001% doubt? Why that small doubt can not be answered? I think that those who come so close to total atheism should make a litttle more mental effort and brcome 100% atheiets.

It's because some atheists are so married to logic that they almost treat it as a religion itself in that it becomes very dogmatic.

Using strict rules of logic, it says no one can be 100% certain of anything. So going by this, some atheists who extoll the virtues of logic, maintain their 99.9% position. For the sole purpose of adhering to the laws of logic.

Where their marriage to logic shows it's cracks is that such a stance creates a slippery slope. If one lives their life in that 99.9% on the basis of not being able to know anything 100%, then they also have to maintain a 99.9% stance to everything: unicorns, leprechauns, cyclops, mermaids, fairies, pixies, zombies, vampires, etc.

However, ask one of these folks if they are 100% sure that unicorns do not exist and they will most likely agree. So how can they maintain 100% certainty for the non-existence of unicorns but not for the existence of gods? The same amount of evidence exists for both: books written about them.

And what's interesting is that this position usually comes up as a result of being asked by a theist. So these atheists will claim a 99.9% stance yet the theists asking these questions often hold a 100% certainty stance about the non-existence of every other god but their own. In an effort to be in such accordance with the rules of logic, the theists certainity goes unchallenged.

Sansdeity

Your answers are always admirable for their logic. This one is no exception. I wish that those who are willing to do away with their uncertainity should take your advise and end it once and for all.

I do not believe in a creator of any kind. I'll refer to this creator as "god."

My problem with 100%... (maybe just semantics?)

Something DOES prevent me from saying "I am 100% certain that there is no god." I think it has to do with measuring knowledge or feelings and beliefs using fractions. Theists claim to know, with 100% certainty, that there is a god.

I see it as either you believe or you don't believe. I just don't see how one can then apply a percentage to quantify their strength in their belief. I can't say that I am 99.9% certain there is no god anymore that I can say I am 100% certain. 

Theists suggest there is a god.

I don't believe there is a god. I just typed 100% of the letters in that sentence.

David, I had similar doubts until I realized that many of the problems we face originate in religious teachings, i.e. wife and child abuse, wars, racism, homophobia, etc.
I decided if I want to confront these challenges, I have to begin where the beliefs originate ... religion.
Sure, there may be a god who does not reveal him/herself to me; So? I see no evidence of existence of god except what religious people tell me.
The next question I have is can I be moral without god? The answer is a profound YES! Can I have compassion? YES! Can I have a sense of wonder? YES!
Therefore, what is the need of god?

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
 alexsauer

Epicurus quote

Sansdeity, BRILLIANT!

I am 100% sure the purveyed as realistic truth and currently practiced  faiths do not depict a verifiable god existing in our current day. Short of participating again in the group reinforced fantasy, God has not become a reality to me. So, I feel it is a choice of yes or no, where one either believes (even if such belief is 99.999 percent uncertain) or where one disbelieves (even if such disbelief is 99.999 percent certain). Belief is the uncertainty of things hoped for, where rational is the certainty of things revealed. God, so that we can agree and prove, is not a revealed truth, so god requires the creative mind. With so many minds, we get so many gods as with one sun, we have many sunsets, and many sunrises in any given day. To find the sun, one must leave the belief of minds and reach out and feel the warmth of its rays---that is 100% rational.

Certainty, including of the non-existence of gods and of invisible pink unicorns, is consistent with reason and logic. Skepticism, while appropriate when faced with an unknown assertion, is not appropriate in the face of contextually valid knowledge.

It is possible that not making the 100% claim is a social aspiration to avoid both the complete rejection of the believer and to not be rejected of the believer; furthermore, religion has a historical precedence that lingers into our modern times because it was the beginning of assimilating our place in the universe as we became self-aware from a position of ignorance that continually evolves towards understanding with our growing collective-body-of-human-intelligence.  Those who have a limited access to knowledge tend to without education cling to religion as if intellectually un-evolved as our ancestors where -- repeating the same evolutionary patterns of humanity. Perhaps humans and information as a collective-body-of-human-intelligence has evolved differently such that education brings a person into the modern time and lacking that education leaves a person less evolved intellectually.  Perhaps education is all that separates unfounded belief systems from the rational search of reality and reason. Maybe denying anyone an education is denying them evolution. Yet vainly with our knowledge we attack the ones denied intellectual evolution frustrated with their humanity that is similar to our own. It is possible that the uncertainty is a means by which we do not reject our own humanity which was founded on uncertainty.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service