I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am 100% sure that sky fairies are fictitious....more or less ;-)  ...although a little more sure rather then less it has to be said!

Thing is if there is a god then even the 99% ers are in deep doo doo...so might as well be judged by a psychotic cretin for something I have done to the absolute rather then something not quite!

At least that has an integrity factor of sorts methinks

As the non-existence of a god cannot be proven, I cannot estimate a probability of the non-existence, not even with 99.9x, no matter, how many 9s are represented by the x.

But I can estimate the probability of the existence of a god at 0.0x1, where x is any high number of 0s.    Such a low probability allows me to relax and ignore that tiny 1 at the end of the number and behave as if the probability were simply 0.  

In my opinion, There is no god. However opinions vary, Some might say they  believe there is enough evidence to support, others may say there isn't a god at all. 

'Some might say they  believe there is enough evidence to support'

But most lie because they have to....the rest are functionally rationally mentally challenged ....just sayin'

is god willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him god?   -Epicurus
I am 100 % certain that there is no god or celestial creator (especially not a totalitarian one). Just because we have no concrete evidence that supports this, doesn't mean that we can't make the conclusion (or the assumption) of its existence. As I see it, the chance that a god/gods exist is highly improbable.

Well, if you say that "It is impossible" entirely, then people will think that you are completely ignorant and arrogant. But to tell the truth, it is impossible! And when people ask why it is impossible then my answer is "Because there are no signs of a god, and my understanding of the Cosmos, which is based on subjective and objective experiences plus Scientific facts and data, comes to the conclusion that there is no god in this Universe, period."

But as Peter Atkins once said in an interview "What's wrong with being arrogant if you're right."

God is an unfalsifiable concept. If there is a god, he does a lousy job of revealing himself to the people he supposedly holds accountable for not believing. I believe that god most probably does not exist, and that belief in one relies on the confirmation bias, herd mentality, indoctrination, and/or labeling things god without being able to demonstrate that they are.

To say that there is no god, 100 %, seems impossible in our society. But I feel and I "know"/"believe" that there is no god nor a celestial dictatorial one. If someone wants to try to persuade me they can go right head, I like to be surprised. But the chance to change my mind on this is nearly impossible. 

Atheists are supposed to have full trust in science. There were atheists when there was no science to support atheism and so their justification for their atheism was weak. Today, hardly any athiest will not take the support of science to justify his atheism. I arrived at atheism by a process of loggical thinking but my beiefs later on have so strongly supported by science that I now wholly take the support of science to support my atheism.

The age old religious philosophies are based only on two main concepts, viz. god and soul. If we believe that science has unravelled the mysteries of how life emerged on this planet and how the uniververse was formed, then the first question arises in my mind is, " If the so called god of supernatural powers is not the creater of the universe and of the life on earth, then what is he there for? What is he doing?" The most obvious answer is that he is not required. I understand that Stephen Hawking also has recently said that no god is required for creating the universe. So, Enistein, Hawking,Darwin and co. have already found the answer for the question for gods existance.

Another support for this comes from deliberating the old concept of 'soul'. There is enough proof to show that the idea of the soul was conceived by imaginative philosophers because they did not know the function of heart. If one goes in a little more details, one can easily ascertain this. This therefore demolishes not only the concept of the soul but also of rebirth, heaven, hell etc. So, a little knowledge of science and full belief in it is more than adequate to demolish th conceot of god and religion simultaneously.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I do have trouble with the phrase, "lack the belief in any gods."  I don't feel a lack, like when I lack water;  I see no evidence of any god even as I am filled with wonder when I look into another's eyes or see the sunrise, or look at stars and constellations and planets with and without a telescope.  Seeing Hubble photos of deep space with all that energy and infinity, I get goosebumps knowing I am created of the stuff of stars, that I have all my senses to experience life, that I exist to participate in life, that differences matter and are not to be avoided or discounted.  

Sometimes, when chaos seems to overwhelm me, I realize there is order to existence. When people preach or teach dogma, or "received" knowledge, or values that make no sense to me I have the right ... NO ... the obligation to speak up, not because I am right but because I perceive things differently.  Sure, I am open to hearing something new or explore different points of view.  But when I answer the doorbell to Mormons or Seven Day Adventists I never hear anything new or worthy of hearing again.  They are pests! Intruders! Kind of like dogs spreading their fecal matter all over the neighborhood, unwelcome, unwanted, and uninvited!

The only way anyone could ever find anythin similar to a "god" is through math or physics

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service