I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12994

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, not to slight the OP's question... but I think this is a better one.

to answer the question...

I cant be 100% sure there is no god... But I 100% DO NOT BELIEVE there is a god... if that makes any sense.

I cant be 100% sure there is no god... But I 100% DO NOT BELIEVE there is a god... if that makes any sense.
The second sentence nullifies your first and only proves the point of the concept being of pure opinion and title of opinion. Right to the point where either existence and everything is GOD, or are GODs, or that there are no GOD's at all.  It's entirely a moot and useless discussion. May as well argue favorite colors out of the billions of colors one can choose from

Are you 100% confident there is a cockroach? (in my home)

I have seen one, and I have seen droppings.

Are you 100% confident there is no cockroach?

I have never seen one, anywhere, nor have I seen droppings. 

To prove there is no cockroach I would have to open up all the walls, all the drawers and cabinets, look along all the pipes and in every nook and cranny, all at the same time.  I cannot prove a negative. 

Are you 100% confident there is a god?

If “yes” then prove it.

If “no” then prove it.

Are you 100% confident there is no god?

If “yes” then prove it.

If “no” then prove it .

I have never seen, heard, smelled, tasted, felt with my tissue or felt with my heart and gut, a god.  I have seen no evidence of a god.  I cannot prove a negative 

I do not need to do experiments in Miami to know that I am not there, when I already know I am in Toledo. This proving a negative thing is a fallacy. That there is no MCT (this MCT) in Miami is a negative statement that I can both prove and that I do not need to prove to have contextual valid and certain knowledge that I am not there, if I know other things, which I do. The same way with god, I know he cannot exist because I know about identity, causality, reason and logic. I do not need to do extra experiements. I do not need additional proof. And neither should you.

If I knew that God exists (as you know you exist), that God is in Mexico getting ready for the Day of the Dead (as you know you are in Toledo, then I could prove that God isn't in Western Finland training reindeer (as you can prove you aren't in Miami).

Because of the nature of science and the universe, the probability of God's or gods' existence can never be 0. It's more accurate to label the probability as 0.00...01. However, in practical terms, this is functionally identical to 0.

Likewise, while I can never be 100% certain of *anything* in life, I *can* be so certain of things that I am practically 100% certain of them. God's or gods' nonexistence is one of those things.

I'd also add the caveat that the question depends on the given definition of "god". I assume we're talking about gods like the god of Abraham.
To clarify my caveat - that's not to say that other human-invented gods beside Yahweh are more likely to exist. What I mean is that there are any number of undiscovered phenomenon in the universe that could very well fit a primitive definition of a god. That definition may be "consciousness beyond human understanding" which is certainly more likely to exist than "Yahweh" "Thor" or "Vishnu".
sorry to have to make one small point u can be 100% certain of one thing death possibly a few more but i'll leave it there.com ;)
Are you sure? I am going to live forever!
You will, we all will--as stardust, just as we emanated from it. :-)

YES!

No. When our molecules are broken down after death, we will not be living on as anything. Our molecules come from stars, but our molecules need a particular configuration to be life. Life ends at death. You should keep in mind that metaphor is not a sufficient source of knowledge. You cannot validly say we will live on as star-dust because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Life stops at death. There is no living on in metaphors.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service