I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 9718

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm way out of my comfort zone here, but my intuition is that the Superverse (the sum total of all universes) has "always been." Any other possibility I have heard or imagined begs the question of first causes, leading to the infinite regress you mentioned.
If I could wrap my brain around the math, it might seem logical to me, but I have to take such concepts (less makes more) somewhat on faith. The idea of a universe with no beginning for me is the lesser of two absurdities (but one of the two must be true, mustn't it? an endless chain of causes or an uncaused effect) -- hence my preference for the Superverse notion.
I am much happier with the thought that I die and nothing else happens -- unless my consciousness could be uploaded into a space probe & I could wander the galaxy for 50,000 years or so.
As far as the Universe goes (all of everything, not just the local expansion) it is either eternal or it changed state from the very simple state of nothing. Such a state change has to be unidirectional I think so it cannot return to the nothing state.
Hi DanDare, If you're not already familiar with it, google "Olber's Paradox". If you are aware of it, doesn't that prove the universe is either finite or has a beginning or both?
My daddy used to say "Only a fool is positive."

But I'm absolutely sure, THERE IS NO GOD

If it turned out there was, I'd have to ask him/her/it, "Just what in Hell were you thinking?"
"If it turned out there was, I'd have to ask him/her/it, "Just what in Hell were you thinking?"

I love this!!!!
I'm also positive there is no god and it's all bs created by power hungry men.
I'm not 100% sure that god does not exist. Perhaps there is a god of some kind out there but I can say with reasonable certainty that it is not the god of the bible or the koran.....or any of the religions that history has created so far.

On the Richard Dawkins Scale of Theism, I rate myself a 6.
I'd have to point out the definitional differences. I'm as certain that some magical universe creator doesn't exist, as I am that transdimensional pink faeries who enjoy checkers don't either, but that still isn't quite absolute.

However, if a god can exist, definitionally, which has only properties which operate within natural limitations, then I would say that the probability of that god existence, rapidly moves from near-impossible, to barely probable, and, if we were able to quantify the chances that such a thing might arise in the universe, it would being to move toward quite possible. Relying on the same math that could tell you that life existing elsewhere in the universe is quite reasonable. Of course, that all addresses existence, and that a god-like being might be skittering around somewhere in the universe is something which, even were it quite probable, would not make the atheist case less tenable, no more than that something quite like what we might call a unicorn could exist on some alien world.
Numerically speaking I'm about as sure as I think I can be that there is no existing diety. Most of us have been programmed to believe that something like that exists by parents, society, etc. and it can be hard to break old, ingrained habits.
No, I am not absolutely certain there is no god. I am not absolutely positive that unicorns have never existed. But "god" as an idea is a posited assertion. An assertion with no evidence to frame adequate arguments on its behalf, that I know of. So the burden of proof should never be shifted to the skeptic.

The most frequently cited arguments are arguments from ignorance ~~ the so-called "god of the gaps". Since we do not know what there was before the "big bang" that manifested our universe, GAWD must 'o done it ~ that sort of malarkey.
I'm not sure if God exists, there could be I don't really know. I lean more towards there not being a God, but that's only because the God that I know of is just the Christian idea of God. There could be something out there for all I know. I'm not really worried with finding God or Gods if he/she/it/they want to find me they know where I am.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service