I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 9718

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, I didn't know that!

Worker bees are all female and they never have sex; only queens and drones get to do that. Well, plus a bee pollinating fauna would be very impressive indeed, and probably extremely irritating.

Apart from that, I take your point, Joan. The meaning of life is propagation. Some animals have big enough brains to get bored with just that, so they make up their own stuff to do.

And some of them make up religions.

Jason, I am so glad you corrected my errors; no one benefits by faulty information. I am also glad you understand what I was trying to convey. I especially like the way you worded human being's having brains and making "up their own stuff to do". Right again. 

Oh! I didn't realize until just now that I used the word "fauna"!  Yikes! now every  one knows how stupid I am. I can just imagine a bee pollinating a bull. 

Jason, you are a jewel!

The Bee that could.....Reminds of that Frank Sinatra song High Hopes:

Next time you're found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your back's to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam

but he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're feelin' bad
'stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop

Oops there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Kerplop!

Jon T Wonderful! And it is so great when I am proved to be wrong and have a chance to come back with more knowledge and understanding. Thanks everyone, my problems just got smaller... Oops, there goes another problem.

Nope, not 100% sure either. I'd say I'm at about 98% certainty that there is no god, with a generous 2% of reasonable doubt applied just because we can't know what we can't know. I was raised fundamentalist Christian, and the amount of mental gymnastics that you have to do on a daily basis in order to make god work in light of all the glaring errors and question-begging is unbelievable and exhausting. However, the fact that we've made huge strides in the past century that have explained what was previous attributed to the divine doesn't bode well in the case for god. The more we learn, the more we find that we really don't need a deity to take care of things because things seem to take care of themselves well enough on their own. To quote Fiona Apple:

There's solace a bit for submitting
To the fitfully cryptically true
What's happened has happened
What's coming is already on its way
With a role for me to play

I don't understand
I'll never understand
But I'm trying to understand
There's nothing else I can do

That about sums it up for me. It's much more likely that we created god, rather than god creating us. It's awfully convenient that whenever someone needs support for ___ cause (i.e., gay rights), god is right there on their side, until someone else claims that god is on their side. Of course, there could always be a god. But why then would a being with all the powers of creation at its disposal do everything in its power to conceal its very existence from the beings it supposedly wants a relationship with? Is this an example of Psyche and Cupid? If there is a god, it's more likely the god of Spinoza, a being utterly removed from its creation, and there is no sense in debating or arguing about something that can't be proven. We have much bigger issues to deal with as a species.

I do state, “I do not believe in God”, but in fact there is nothing to not believe in.

Well, we don't know definitively that there is nothing; however, there is no evidence of anything to believe in, just as there's no evidence of unicorns, leprechauns or tooth fairies.

My point was that we know definitively.  As Bertrand Russell asked, "Where did God come from?"  Any answer creates the question of where the subject of that answer came from and so on resulting in an infinite regress. Then put the lie to semantic objections such as "... can't know the unknowable".  Then we'll know.  You know?

Gnostic atheists make us normal agnostic atheists look bad.

Gnostic atheists have formed their own religion with as little credibility as any other religion. 

As atheists we're supposed to champion reason and we acknowledge that we can't be sure and we can't disprove God. All atheists do not believe in religion or a god but gnostic atheists are as bad as the religious.

Worse even, because they make me and the secular movement look bad.

Agnostic atheists make us normal gnostic atheists look bad.

Agnostic atheists have formed their own religion with as little credibility as any other religion. 

As atheists we're supposed to champion reason and we acknowledge that we can be sure and do not need to disprove God. All atheists do not believe in religion or a god but agnostic atheists are as bad as the religious.

Worse even, because they make me and the secular movement look bad.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service