I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And yet I further suggest that even the concept and mention of “the supernatural” is itself a human invention, no less than Bertrand Russell’s orbiting teapot is a human invention---the orbiting-teapot level of which in our wondrous Universe is exactly zero.

The 'natural' is actuality, reality, rationality. It is everywhere we look.

The 'supernatural' is religious hogwash, balderdash and fictional nonsense.
I don't want to fall back into a position I don't care to defend but out of morbid curiosity:

Do you think that it is impossible to simulate a functional universe using technology given a presupposed technological/physical ceiling and an accurate implementation of fundamental physical law?
There's no God, unless you're really talking about the laws of physics. In that case, there's only what we understand and what we have yet to understand. Any other definition of God is rubbish.
No, I'm not 100% sure but damn close.
In the end, the possibility of there being a God is, if not zero, so remote as to not warrant worrying about. It's like saying that there is a possibility that the Earth will stop spinning all of a sudden. This could conceivably happen in certain circumstances but those circumstances are so unlikely that they are not worth considering as a real possibility. (Yes, I know the Earth's rotation is slowing ever so slightly but it'll take billions of years for it to stop)

We have the laws of physics and higher level theories like evolution (for which we have abundant evidence) that explain much of what needs explaining and most of what we don't yet know we can (at least in principal) eventually get at using science. On the other hand, we have no evidence whatsoever that there is a supernatural spirit that does anything at all. Not a scrap. So why worry about it. For all practical purposes we can just say we're as sure as we are of anything that there is no god. Surely that is where the matter should rest.

However, as always, if anyone would like to come up with some real evidence I have an open mind. Unlike the religious loonies I know what it would take to change my mind. However, I won't hold my breath waiting. Every time someone comes in here with something they want to call evidence it turns out to be nothing but "faith" or "belief" based on no real evidence at all. Fortunately, those types usually get pretty short shrift in here.
Oh robbrownsyd!
ditto to everything you said!
Ab-So-Lute-ly!
Well said!
I am 110% confident that there is no god/goddess/diety.
I am positive there is NO god because: 1) Such a thing could not exist in either a rational or irrational universe. 2) The god of the religious establishment is such a supreme sadistic thing, that mentally it belongs in the category of the insane and unimaginable. 3) The universe being what it is, is incapable of giving birth to such a heinous thing as that imagined in the mind of either the liberally devout or the dysfunctional, insane, devout fundamentalist, who carries the baggage of a fantasized god in his/her warped brain.

I can't prove its nonexistence, but neither can the devout god worshiper prove its existence.
Leland!! you are right, a theist g$d is a man made up as a fear tool that takes control of the gullible and scared, for a supernatral after life, and that makes them feel moral and above others with forgiven sins, if not converted you will go to internal hEll.....all this is a key to put them in a harden bubble that is hard to brake......these people are almost hypnotized from reality and remain in this dream world and they bring up their own kids to this indoctrination and and this theism will keep going on. the only way to wake up them is by knowledge,. reality and science, and people like us to give them doubts & skepticism. their leaders are working hard to censor, demonise, demoralise,and put hate upon us atheist, to keep their control, power, and monetary advances...... this will be hard to fix............................joe
Quite right, Joe!

Religion is a dirty, filthy, evil, immoral and dangerous habit. To encourage people who engage in it to give it up they ought to be made to feel guilty and ashamed and should be forced to do it in secret so that good moral and praisworthy atheists do not have to witness such degrading behaviour. Its depiction in the media should be strictly censored. Perhaps the disgusting and dangerous behavior could even be criminalised so that they are driven deep underground where they and their heros like Ted Haggard Jerry Falwell and Osomar Bin Laden belong. Absolute vermin! We could construct special camps for them where they could be held until ...

Ok, just kidding/fantasizing. But these thoughts can give a sort of perverse pleasure. I imagine its a bit like christians enjoyng the spectacle of unbelievers burning in hell. Very naughty!
Oh what a lovely fantasy!

And yet . . . the converse is what extreme religious fanatics have been doing to atheist innocents for centuries.
Right on robbrownsyd!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Future replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
14 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
42 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on nikki summers's blog post atheist billboard
57 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
5 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
6 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service