I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11985

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have to (first) know all the different definitions of god/gods that people believe in. We have one that the deists and some fundies believe called the deistic god, one "who" claimed to have existed Pre-BigBang, setting up the constants in our universe and letting it loose randomly without this god performing any sort of intervention. I may consider the deistic god plausible since the universe as we know it is a series of random events obeying to certain laws/constants. But as I analyze this, the deistic god is completely bound to the nature of his/her own creation; can't really do anything to stars and stuffs in space hitting and colliding each other, or being devoured by huge wormholes! My definition of a god is something or "someone" that is powerful and perfect and just by looking at these huge mess, I therefore say that god/gods are gap-fillers made by religious people to questions that science haven't had answers yet,... and I am 100% sure there is no such thing as god, neither the intelligent designer-god or the theistic god, one who turned water into wine or had a man live inside a stomach of a big fish. Absolutely 100% sure there is no such god (described by theists) as we are absolutely 100% sure there are no fairies.
Saying that you are 100% sure of something does seem a bit of an exaggeration to me on epistemological grounds, even with lots of supporting evidence. At the same time, I think we can say, I'm pretty damn sure when it comes to lots of things, including "God does not exist."
Only Douglas Adams' Improbablity Machine could create God, but it's never been built, and Doug is dead now, with no reports of his tomb being empty (I even waited forty days) so...yeah, I'm 100% sure there's no god...or flowerpots appearing out of nowhere.
I agree very much with your position. Therefore, I find it wrong to distinguish strictly between an atheist and an agnostic. I am an atheist, but not a know-all... so I will not claim total certainty that there is no intelligence out there behind it all, but nonetheless have an almost total conviction that there has never been, is not and never will be any evidence of any kind of God, Creator, disembodied Cosmic Spirit or Intelligence.

I have just posted an article on the discussion about "Does the Brain Create God" - mostly a critical analysis of the ideas of those more articulate defender of 'spirituality' and 'mysticism' who do believe in a cosmic spirit of some kind, and claim it to be experiencable.
Yes, I agree with you and I thought your article on Millar's piece was on the mark. Her finely honed piece is nothing more than colourful mumbo jumbo that would appeal only to those still looking desperately for a way to fit the notion of "God" or "spirit" into a cosmos that is increasingly being shown by science not to need these notions to explain it.

Having clutched briefly at Vedanta myself as a last port of call on my journey out of theism, I can say that its notions are as untenable as those of any religion. Millar's article (like the ideas of the Asklepia Foundation in general) appeal to those who, although perhaps intelligent and/or highly educated with money to spare, are feeling the gravitational pull of religion weaken and who clutch at straws for fear of flying off into the void but who cannot bring themselves to accept the firm footing offered by atheism. It has the same sort of appeal as Teillhad de Chadin's "phenomenon of Man" whose attraction I think is best explained by Peter Medawar who wrote of it:

“How have people come to be taken in by the Phenomenon of Man?
We must not underestimate the size of the market for works of this kind, for philosophy-fiction. Just as compulsory primary education created a market catered for by cheap dailies and weeklies, so the spread of secondary and latterly tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well-developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.”

Millar's article is basically, "nonsense, tricked out with a variety of metaphysical conceits, and its author can be excused of dishonesty only on the grounds that before deceiving others [s]he has taken great pains to deceive [her]self.”

There is far to much of this 'new age' and 'post modernist' crap about and I love seeing it exposed for what it is.
There is no god, only the Emperor. The Emperor Protects.
We talkin' Napoleon, Palpatine, or The Emperor of Ice Cream?
Oh, you mean that guy with the bow-tie fur who likes to dance? Or maybe Burgess Meredith?
THE EMPEROR WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS NONSENSE!
Proof, once again, that there is no Emperor - except in the minds of those who believe - else there would be Hell to pay, this very day!
No apologies necessary. Very cogent and insightful comments, Fred.
I try not to dwell too long on how sure I am that "There is no Gods", but if pressed on it I might say that I do indeed believe that there is no God. I wouldn't be comfortable attaching a certainty percentage to it though; but it definitely wouldn't be 100%. You can't be 100% sure certain.

It also depends on the definition of God though. If we're talking about a deist God, then I'd say the odds are very small but still far larger than the odds of, say, the Christian God.

Anyway, I don't even take that position ("I believe that there is no God") when I debate with theists. I don't need to argue that, in fact I have no interest in doing so. All I care to argue is that there is absolutely no reason to believe that there is one.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service