I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly!
I forget, who was it that said "It's turtles . . . all the way down." ? :)
Supposedly a little old lady.

Try googling "Turtles all the way down meaning".
It is the infinite regression problem, as with a claimed belief that the Earth is flat and supported on the back of a turtle, back of a turtle, back of a turtle, . . . ∞
There is no such thing as being 100% sure. If you're 100% sure of anything you're deluding yourself to some degree. I would say there is no more reason to believe in God, than to believe in Faeries, leprechauns, or intergalatic space aliens only concerned with anally probing hillbillies. No reasonable person can say absolutely that none of these things exist or have ever existed. However seeing as there is no evidence and has never been any evidence for these things, there's no reason to treat as anything more than legend or folklore. If there one days sping some evidence that proves all of the fanciful nonsense of legend and fairy tales true then all the better, for it will expand our understand and give us new ensight into the world.

If you want absolutes become a catholic, they have a guy who's job it is to be right all the time. He'll tell you what you have to believe, think, and hate all the time and forever, or at least until he dies and the next guy changes things. Unfortunately if you want the truth or reality, then you have to disregard the idea of absolutes and understand that everything we know could easily be disproven at any moment and the validity of a claim is based solely on whether or not it can be verified and demonstrated as true.
Richard, Though I disagree with your position - it just means that you are not sure, yet - I got a huge kick out of your observations about absolutes and the catholic church. It shows a very sharp wit.
The real question is: Is anyone positive there is one. I can say that there is no god. There may be some force running the universe but it has nothing to do with the bible, Koran and Torah etc. I find it hard to understand how people who look at the photos from the Hubble telescope could possibly believe in a god. The only people who might find some sort of control over the universe would be math or physics scientist
No. I don't know if there is a God or Gods. On that way, I'm pretty much and agnostic. But that doesn't mean the possibility is 50/50, at least not for me. Since I don't know if there is a God, I behave as if there were none. In that sense, I could be an atheist.

I think that the existence of God might not be an issue for many, if it weren't for its followers and the stuff they do that pisses us off. Science will hardly proof that there is or isn't a God, but so far has shown that the world work pretty well without one. I would dare to say that scientifically the is no need for a god. On the other hand, there is a need to fight for equal rights, knowledge an peace, especially when all of those are threatened by the belief in a god.
It occurs to me, that a certain corollary to Dr Terence Meaden's position can best be illustrated, by pointing out that if one is willing to grant only a 99.999nth% probability that the universe has a wholly scientific explanation, then one is actually acknowledging that the barest part of 1% still bows before the suggestion of superstitious belief. Almost like one who doesn't actually believe in ghosts, but still feels better turning on a few lights.

I think it is important to realize, because confronting the feelings of cognitive dissonance that are created, is one of the most powerful motivators for clearing out the last of those cobwebs of supernatural belief.

One way to flip it, is to remember what Woody Allen said about a disbelief in god:
"It's just something that you have to take on faith" (on faith in yourself, I might add).
I am 100% positive that there is no god. And I can furthermore say that if we were wrong and that there was a god, I am 100% positive I would NOT worship.
I agree, I wouldn't worship a universal prick either.
re: D R Hosie

What of Einsteins's god? Part of this problem with why so many poeple, as I do, use the 99.999999% description may be dut to how that god is defined, and the other part, for me, is it's simply hard to completely dismiss it without a qualifier, or caveat, such as Dawkins' "teapot athiest" at the end of the statement.
Sadly, they usually answer yes :D

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service