I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 8769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Bill, "professional" wrestling is 0.0000001% real. Minimum.*

*Contents packaged by weight, not volume. Some settling may occur during shipping.
"The scientific method is limited to natural phenomenon"

Are there any other sorts of phenomena?
The newest theory is that there never was a time when time did not exist. Bang, bang and band over and other again. Also they are talking about flat membranes that are very close together. Many universes some so close we can see them
"The newest theory is that there never was a time when time did not exist."

I must have missed some recent development then. M-theory is pretty interesting and has been receiving a lot of attention, for brane collisions can explain the origin of the universe, be fused with established cosmological theories yet still do without the tricky singularity lying at the core of the standard Big Bang model itself. However, being no expert, I'm not sure how M-theory deals with the subject of the origin of time. My guess is that in the theorised higher-dimensional bulk of M-theory, time and causality are not quite what we're used to. They might very well behave as weirdly as they do in quantum physics.
As far as I know, even in the multiverse theory different universes may be on adjacent branes and extremely close to each other but still separate from each other and impossible to see. The only force able to travel between branes according to modern string theory might be gravity.
Fred what was the name of the documentary you watched? It also sounds interesting.
I don't know if I buy that answer, it only shifts the burden of the infinite regress issue onto the answer. It seems like your just saying "42".

This goes back to my original question "What limits does science have if any?"

Can science answer the origin question while also resolving the infinite regress issue? I don't view the infinite regression issue to be limited to mysticism, it needs to also be handled by science.
99% sure. The rest knows we were sneezed from a turtle.
Exactly!
I forget, who was it that said "It's turtles . . . all the way down." ? :)
Supposedly a little old lady.

Try googling "Turtles all the way down meaning".
It is the infinite regression problem, as with a claimed belief that the Earth is flat and supported on the back of a turtle, back of a turtle, back of a turtle, . . . ∞
There is no such thing as being 100% sure. If you're 100% sure of anything you're deluding yourself to some degree. I would say there is no more reason to believe in God, than to believe in Faeries, leprechauns, or intergalatic space aliens only concerned with anally probing hillbillies. No reasonable person can say absolutely that none of these things exist or have ever existed. However seeing as there is no evidence and has never been any evidence for these things, there's no reason to treat as anything more than legend or folklore. If there one days sping some evidence that proves all of the fanciful nonsense of legend and fairy tales true then all the better, for it will expand our understand and give us new ensight into the world.

If you want absolutes become a catholic, they have a guy who's job it is to be right all the time. He'll tell you what you have to believe, think, and hate all the time and forever, or at least until he dies and the next guy changes things. Unfortunately if you want the truth or reality, then you have to disregard the idea of absolutes and understand that everything we know could easily be disproven at any moment and the validity of a claim is based solely on whether or not it can be verified and demonstrated as true.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Anthony Jordan commented on Bryan McDowell's blog post Proving a Negative
8 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
27 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
30 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
45 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Alan's discussion The reason why the United States has such a higher rate of religion compared to the UK
49 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
51 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Teh Stoopid...it's killing me!!
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago
k.h. ky replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service