I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sheri, as James points out in his previous comment above, the god of the Bible can't exist because it contains logical contradictions. I'm 100% sure that any god that can be consistently and accurately defined would not be considered a god by any modern human. Any god that can't be consistently defined is logically impossible. Any god that can't be accurately defined can't even be discussed rationally.
the god of the Bible can't exist because it contains logical contradictions.

But that's assuming the Bible is a correct depiction of that god. I challenge that! :P
Wise guy.
That is funny, that is the first defense every theist uses.

Whoa dude, I can't coherently defend my churches actions! I'm really just a deist!

Pussyfooting on the field 10yd penalty!
The first defense every theist uses - Meh. I know quite a few who won't readily admit that their holy book is imperfect enough to present an inaccurate definition of their god - if at all. Not that I couldn't live without them on the playing field - unless I'm the referee ;-)
Most people serious about their position will tend to re-frame the debate towards deism. If they don't the debate turns typically turns into straw men and appeals to authority. You get Hitler! No you do! I call Einstein! Crusades!

Plus, it is lot easier to defend a god that has no active role in the universe than to defend a personified god with human failings.
"You get Hitler! No you do! I call Einstein! Crusades!"

Daniel, is there a home version of this game show?
I don't recommend it but it's called "The God Delusion".

Just imagine Dawkins getting a fundamentalist talking point memo and deciding to argue every point on it, no matter how inane.
Even if the pope cured cancer, what would it prove about the existence of god? Nothing!

Harris does a great job of outlining the 3 arguments people make for religion (about 11.5m in):

1. Atheism is bad/wrong
2. Religion is moral/useful
3. Religion X is true

But this is a composition fallacy; the first two points can not prove or disprove the third point.

PS
I don't want to bury this lead, Bill what you doing doing with Catholics online? ;]
I refer all Catholics to Deliver us from Evil, a documentary about pedophilia and the church. If anyone can watch that and stay a Catholic they have no heart.
> they brush it off as it happens everywhere

Well I guess it is all right then!

If you don't think organized child rape is an issue because of your faith then you are in a CULT and if you support them [financially] then you are culpable.

Just keep showing them the Kool-aid or Flavor Aid as it were.
The scientific approach would indeed dictate that the answer can only be in the maginitude of 99.99999... %; after all, there's no hard-core evidence against the god hypothesis, only ridiculously extreme odds. But I'm afraid that if you say anything less than the full 100%, sooner or later you're going to receive a resounding thump of a Bible over your head, accompanied with the ever so predictable "see, even you cannot be entirely sure, that means that you DO believe deep down inside!"

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service