I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 9632

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You understate the difference between brains based on how they have developed; the brain is far more diverse than you give it credit.

This diversity allows you to ignore positives and focus on negatives while it allows others to focus on positives and ignore negatives.

If your brain was wired differently then authoritarianism could be a safety blanket or you might overlook some of the negative aspects of religion as antiquated or allegorical. We are all shaped by our history, based on your comments of your own background I am not surprised at your hard line responses and based on my own history my moderate position is equally predictable.

But not everything is so logical, a surprising case study for me is the homosexual community. They should have innate knowledge that is contrary to nearly every religion plus the outright hostility towards them from these organizations and I would expect a nearly universal rejection of religion. But they don't...

So it just doesn't appear that everyone reacts in such a uniform logical way.
I've never actually seen Tron, but I do intend on watching it.
Yeah, Tron is really kind of not good. Not sure why they're bothering with a sequel. But then, the Matrix movies sucked, too. The first one had style and eye candy, but the story was silly and the second two just hurt.
Just to give you context and the aha moment you've been looking for: I'm in the middle of reading Ray Kurzweil =)
It depends on what you mean by "God." I am 99% sure that there is no vague higher power. I am 99.9999% sure that the God of the Bible does not exist (I only allow the .000001% in case there is an Imagination Land like the one in South Park).
Anythings possible that stays within the laws of phyiscs I would guess. If it's possible for a being to create a universe then "dwell" in it then you can't be %100 for sure some being didn't do that to ours. That said, everything we've learned about our reality so far has been self sustaining. There has never been a need for god in anything we've discovered. God used to live right above the clouds. Now it's been pushed to the creation of the universe just to give purpose to people who need one.
And then there's the useless, endless, spiralling question of who created the god that created the god that created the god . . . ad infinitum.
Ad nauseum!
Yes science is an ever evolving process. But we've had several centuries of it (in the modern sense) now and if there were anything spooky out there I think we'd have found a hint of it by now. I'm 99.9 to the the nth degree % certain there is/are no god(s). However, unlike most religious loonies I know what it would take to change my mind. A little thing called evidence, of which I have not seen the slightest trace despite my searching, whereas evidence in favour of their not being anything supernatural in the universe exists in abundance all about us. It's a no brainer really. You would have to really want to fool yourself to take the opposite view.
There are times I just have to marvel at the human mind. Here in this one discussion, there are all kinds of minds answering the same question for themselves. Some of them have been precisely polished, and some are still quite rough around the edges.

While I would have thought that education level would provide a clear delineation, it seems that whether or not one is willing to grant 100% belief in the non-existence of deities outside the heads of those imagining them has more to do with a personality type than an educational level.

It does still tend to follow that smarter people are atheists. The only thing left at the end is the degree of their atheism.

Having spent a life wishing/praying/meditating/wailing/gnashing teeth/hoping that at some point, I'd see a ghost or a spirit, hear a voice from the unknown, "know" god, or what have you, I can say there are no such things. Of this I am 100 percent sure.

I could do a lot of mental gymnastics like I see some others performing, and mentally masturbate myself into thinking that there are no absolutes. I really don't see the point.

Life is a ball of obfuscation as it is. To add to this spherical confusion by throwing in uncertainty where none exists seems an academically weak exercise.

There is no evidence for the existence of any deity. None whatsoever. From the time of the first Neanderthals, to the Ancient Egyptians, to the Greeks and Romans, to the pagans, to the heathens to the christ-inanes, to now, no one has shown one shred of evidence that didn't wind up being a hoax. No one! That's a lot of years! That's a lot of hoaxes.

That's not a lot of evidence.

So why play the 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% game? Just to leave yourself an out so you can pray yourself to heaven from your deathbed?

Oh please! How lame!!!

And how lacking in conviction. At least the Religious Reich has conviction. Perhaps we should make use of our convictions before we all become convicts due to the actions of the Religious Reich.

Or, we could hang on to that last bit of Faerie Tale thinking until it rots our minds, destroys society, and ultimately, the Earth.
100 % sure.
Delusion, suffering, paranoia, all caused by our meaningless ignorance. So I'll just go with 100% that there is no such thing as God or Gods, it's just a 1 of infinite of pieces of our ignorance.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service