I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 10834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do not think it is wise to be 100% sure of anything. That said, I am as sure that there is no God as I am sure that the Sun will rise everyday for the rest of my life.
Peace!
im not even 100% sure i believe the big bang theory. I have no proof there is no god. I do belive its very unlikely tho. Its more likely there are aliens , bigfoots , and dinosaurs still around than a god.
I am, for all practical purposes, absolutely certain there is no creator-god in the sense that Judeo/Xian/Islamic monotheists use that term. The word *god* can be useful shorthand when referring to processes of self-discovery & growth, keeping in mind there is always the danger that one will slip into the assumption that what one is talking about is an entity of some sort.

There seems to be a growing consensus among neuroscientists that the human brain is hardwired to look for "something out there" -- or "in here". That doesn't mean we should believe there actually is a "something" but I think it suggests we should be very careful to consider that aspect of ourselves as we continue our personal growth.
Realistically, I have no doubt about the lack of gods existing, other than as a mental construct in the cognos. As a rationalist I am open to future evidence that shows I may be wrong, I simply doubt such evidence will ever be forthcoming.
I dont think there will ever be proof of god even in the afterlife. You'd be at square 1 in the afterlife again.
Here we go!
Afterlife? By what possible mechanism could there be an afterlife?
The answer is no available, until you define God. If you want to define God as a principle or the Universe, sure there is a God. An old man with a Jewish accent will be less credible.
I can't really express this without sounding like I'm wearing a pyramid on my head, but I can imagine whatever energy the brain generates in doing what we call consciousness leaving some trace or "echo" at the moment of death that may be measurable at some time in the future. If you want to call that an afterlife, ok.
OK, but very unlikely. I heard on a TV documentary that the human brain uses about 2 kilowatts/hour of energy, and this is made possible by our skin, which is the sweatiest and most "coolingest" of all animals. The energy left behind by a 2 kw heater when switched off, or a 2 kw brain once dead would very quickly be lost in the vast arrays of energies all around us all the time.

Try to locate where a 2 kw heater was, what shape its bars were etc., by detecting its energy signature, say 1 day after it's been turned off, and moved to a remote location. Good luck.
Maybe if it had been in the same spot for 50 years. Even living in the same apt. would not leave as consistent a fingerprint. I agree, it's more unlikely than likely.
Actually, any heater leaves a "footprint" in the form of electromagnetic radiation. Imagine a tiny heater, say about 1.5mm long and 0.005 mm across - sort of like the filament in a flashlight bulb, to see what I mean. That radiation persists until it is absorbed, having nothing to do with the flashlight filament that produced it nor the small AAA cell that powered it. If not absorbed, it will travel on forever, there being no difference between the flashlight photon and another produced by the most energetic quasar in the universe.
However, that footprint is not the flashlight, no more is the faint radiations left by the currents in our brains us. It appears that we are electro-chemical machines and our consciousness an effect of the complex inter-connectivity of our brains functional elements. I certainly do not claim to know how that could work, no more than I know where the universe came from. However assuming some "magical" component that will continue that consciousness after the mechanism is defunct seems as foolish as assuming a god created the universe. It solves nothing but pushes the question back another level of indirection.

Regards,
Gary
I lean more towards there is no God, but who can really say? If there is a God it is a silent watcher, too silent at times and I feel that makes it unnecessary to believe in God. If that makes sense. lol

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service