I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 9319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The tea is floating about in Russell's pot. I don't know about the biscuits -- probably a myth.
But some day soon, Almighty Linux will come in a Red Hat (called in some ancient texts a Fedora) and cast all Microsoft operating systems into a cyberhell "where the virus dieth not." I know it is true because I believe it!
Inevitably a 'user' of windows will have to press the f8 key. It is then possible to say that our keybording destinies are predetermined. A user could if they wished accept only the new keyboarding covenant and hold down the control key during a resurrection procedure, but the results are the same. A Sys-Admin versed in the ancient Shiftcraft of the Keybalah will have knowledge of the mysteries of the Alt-key combination sequences, but any user can easily demystify this knowledge.

It is therefore easy to say that CAPS LOCK exist with near %100 certainty, but given the shear numbers of alternate keboarding experiences the fact becomes >null.

Can anybody help with hooking up my Gutenberg Press to my Babbage Difference Engine?
"Can anybody help with hooking up my Gutenberg Press to my Babbage Difference Engine?"

Brad, you just need an HDMI cable. A wooden one. With sealskin shielding.
It depends on the definition of god. For some gods yes I am 100% certain they do not exist, for others I merely lack belief.
A good answer, Becca.
Yeah. That's pretty much it. Viewing the world you must make non-rigorous trust in what you can ascertain from your environment (to escape Descartes' Cogito). In a sense you can never be 100% sure.
I have some problems with saying you're 99.99% sure. But I think I should have a good hard think about probability theory first, otherwise I might get back up to 100 and wonder how I got there.

The Abrahamic god (who, in my opinion, is not above the laws of capitalisation) can be shown to be impossible by a contradiction argument ["could he cook a burrito so hot.."]. These are usually dismissed as simple and childish arguments because it really is that easy.
If he could make an infinitely hot burrito that I could still taste through the hotness, I might be tempted to believe. But, seriously, Aquinas argued (correctly I think) that such arguments against omnipotence are meaningless because it is always possible to posit something that cannot be done, such as thinking furious green ideas -- not to be confused with furiously having ideas about the color green. Omnipotence, if such an attribute is possible, would consist in the ability to do anything do-able.
There is/are no god(s), godess(es). I am 100% sure.
My athiesm is belief, not knowledge. I cant prove that there is no god, but I certainly dont believe in one or any at all.
My athiesm is belief, not knowledge. I cant prove that there is no god, but I certainly dont believe in one or any at all.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service