I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My athiesm is belief, not knowledge. I cant prove that there is no god, but I certainly dont believe in one or any at all.
My athiesm is belief, not knowledge. I cant prove that there is no god, but I certainly dont believe in one or any at all.

One of the problems I see in this discussion is the resistance to differentiating between “belief” and “faith”.

Belief and faith are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

Nearly every human has logical reasons to believe a lot of things, and for the most part, regardless of religion, we all believe in pretty much the same things.

Example:  We all believe in gravity.  When we drop a brick, we move our toes.  Gravity is not a function of faith, whether  we understand it or not.

God, on the other hand, is an object of "faith", and to discuss an object of faith in terms of  “certainty” is nonsense.  

That being said, I am 100% certain that I do not possess faith in the existence of a supreme being. . .or in anything else for that matter.

god live in peoples minds that all................no where eles
YES! Umm, can I say that I believe in Douglas Adams?
Just add an infinite number of 9's to the right of the decimal point and your 99.999...% will equal 100.
As skeptics we cannot say we are absolutely positive there is no god - just as religious people cannot say for sure there is. I think the default position should be atheism. My belief is that the possibility of god is as close as one can mathematically get to zero.
I knew I should have worded that differently :)

Most people say they know that zeus or the tooth fairy are not real so in that context I say the same about god.
"I think the default position should be atheism." - Kevin

It is. You don't believe in something before you've been introduced to the concept, and even then you must be convinced either upon hearing the claim, or upon further evidence (of any quality).

"All children are atheists and, were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so."
-- Ernestine Rose

Just like you don't get the flu until you've been introduced to the influenza virus, and you don't actually exhibit symptoms until it's taken hold. The default position of a living human is 'not having the flu'.

- Gliktch
It would be convenient if that were so, but someone became the first theist without being told to -- how did that happen?
Jumping from hypothesis to conclusion without experimentation and verification. It's easy enough to do, and we constantly see people doing it, so it's no stretch to assume that the first theist just made up an answer and liked it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Meri Weathers liked Patricia's discussion Very Ancient Sharks Teeth Found
3 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W's group Food!
9 minutes ago
abdulrahman aliyu posted a group
17 minutes ago
Profile IconWanda, Cairsley, Robert Ray and 2 more joined Atheist Nexus
18 minutes ago
Randall Smith replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion In 40 years wild vertebrates halved in the group Wildlife
27 minutes ago
Todd Crispin replied to Todd Crispin's discussion New member, first post anywhere of this type
1 hour ago
Jennie updated their profile
2 hours ago
Jennie posted a photo
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin posted discussions
2 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon liked Ivy's group Atheist Humor
3 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon posted a status
"giving my daughter breakfast :)"
4 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon updated their profile
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service