I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12045

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Or it was a holdover from the polytheistic worldview that Judaism evolved from. I favor this interpretation, actually. I think the god in Genesis was actually meant as multiple gods. I suspect the royal we usage came out of that tradition, rather than the other way around. The word elohim is actually plural in Hebrew, though interpreted as singular in certain contexts, I think because the popular notion of god became singular, rather than because the word originally could be used that way. Of course that's a guess, but it makes more sense to me than that a plural would be used as a form of emphasis to show importance.
More likely bipolar, really....
I agree with Jason. I learned that on a class that elohim is masculine feminine and plural. When that part of the bible was written they were still poytheistic.

The royal we refers to monarch and country.
*in
*polytheistic
I always did admire Bertrand Russell.
In this sense, you are giving God anthropomorphic qualities. I know God takes many shapes according to many beliefs. I'm pretty sure Allah is something that which cannot be defined, so giving it humanistic characteristics would be a bit off in some cases. I know some scientists like to think that 'God' was behind the big bang and then sort of washed 'His' hands of everything else and let nature take its course.

With the utter vastness of the universe, it's hard to say what is out there. It's certainly a fun thing to imagine. But a God that is human-esque escapes creativity. We tend to go with what we are familiar with. I can imagine other civilizations, but nothing supernatural out there.

Just as an aside, void of light in space, we can 'see' things out there that aren't in the visible spectrum. The electromagnetic spectrum spans many wavelengths.
For those who think there must ultimately be some explanation for everything, some have suggested that for "god" we substitute "principle of existence" or "why there is something instead of nothing:" both perfectly nebulous and content-neutral terms, but without the tendency to anthropomorphize. I don't really worry about it that much.
I think it doesn't even matter. As long as you Live a Good Life with basic respect for your Fellow Man and do Good while you are here on Earth you will be Fine. One thing I don't like is People who Push their Religious Laws off on other People who do not share those beliefs. Especially when those Religious Beliefs are manmade certainly not from any god and based on pure Hokum.

Peace*
I am as sure as I can be without putting any faith into it.
I AM 100% POSITIVE THERE IS A CAPS LOCK KEY.
You say you are positive about your statement, yet a) at no time do you tell us where this mythical key actually IS, b) you fail to describe it c) simply pressing and holding the SHIFT key can provide the same results, except for the 100, which leads to certain questions, d) it may be a deep seated fault with the keyboard e) no extant religious texts reference this key f) the great creator of the squishy keyboard, Sinclair zx81, never had a capslock key, therefore, (takes deep breath)...

... I put it to you that you have secretly been to a weekend capslock camp, and have come away from it with your head full of unprovable key definitions, perhaps even a firm belief in the F13 key or that windows is the perfect operating system. Grundgetta, keyvolution is a false belief, but if you come back to the fold, we'll forgive you, help your guilt, and maybe even provide tea and biscuits.
Obviously, Skraeling, the key takeaway is...wait. What's this about tea and biscuits?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service