I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree. We have the opportunity to employ any form of mythology that appeals to us. I like this idea. I can define meaning in any way I choose.

Trouble comes when folks mistake the mythology for truth.
There is nothing like a relaxing day of DAN corruption ;-)

I really like the mythology thing. If we understand that all is meaningless, then choosing some kind of mythology to gain footing makes perfect sense. I'm not talking about mythology in the "giants and dragons" sense, but more as any "code to live by" developed by humans.

My own mythology includes my moral code, my role as a human male, my sense of propriety regarding family and children, my die hard dedication to riding my Harley, my parameters for discerning success and failure...
But if "all is meaningless" than what is the need of a mythology?

I like the things you list as part of "[your] own mythology" but why not just appreciate them for what they are rather than trying to put them on "a higher plane" of a personal mythology?

Many folks seem to want to find "meaning", I settle for figuring out the "sense" of things. When it makes sense, I'm a happy camper. If it doesn't make sense (yet), I don't see how looking for meaning will help.
Finding meaning and making sense are the same thing to me. You're familiar with the anthropic principle? -- the universe is the way it is because, if it weren't, we would not be here asking why the universe is the way it is. So everything is meaningless until someone asks, "What does it all mean?"
@Arnold [hit the nesting level so need to identify] -- Well, we obviously disagree about words/concepts as I see them as related but not the same (a Wittgensteinian family resemblance.) I am making sense of physics and astrophysics (slowly) but that does not imbue them with any meaning. Nor does the fact that they can be sensible give them any meaning.

I'm familiar with the anthropic principle -- not convinced yet that it is all that some people crack it up to be. But, regardless of that nit, I don't see how it has anything to do with meaning. Asking "what does it mean" doesn't cause the universe to have meaning.
I'm with Glenn on this one. There really is no meaning beyond what you make of things for yourself. The best we can do is make sense of the universe around us and choose what we want to do with that. I don't like the word "mythology", though, because that pretty much means "fictional" to me. What's wrong with the term "philosophy"?

And I'm more of an adherent of the Misanthropic Principle--people suck, but sometimes in a good way.
It can only have meaning to beings capable of asking, "What does it mean?" I don't think meaning is ever intrinsic to nature. But we seem to have a need to find patterns that help us catalog our experience. It undoubtedly has survival value on some level.
I know the term "mythology" carries some baggage, but it still works for me. It has the benefit of not allowing folks to take "what they consider meaningful" too seriously. Even the search for truth (good luck) is only meaningful as a personal mythology. By using the term "mythology," I think you are putting it on a lower plane. We are writing our own parts in a play. Lots of fun, but not particularly important. For me, mythology implies a creative process.

I'm with you on the figuring out the "sense" of things.
I don't know about that: being orally fixated on a consenting fellow-organism can be quite romantic.
LMAO!
I have no reason to believe there is a god as I understand the term. There is no point in trying to prove a negative, so I cannot make any meaningful statements about how much I do not have a reason to believe in one.
I recall, in reading that depository of all wisdom, that god referred to himself as WE. This was in Genesis of that depository of all wisdom, the wholly babble.I never did quite understand that use of the pluiral, since this was 6,000-8,000 years prior to his attaining fatherhood. Maybe we could have another council, like that one in 325CE, to iron out the wrinkles. :-)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Future replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
26 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
54 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on nikki summers's blog post atheist billboard
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
6 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
6 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service