I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11985

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Like god coming down and telling me I was wrong. Even then I would talk to a therapist to check that I was still sane before I trusted myself."

Even if a therapist confirmed that you are sane, how could you be sure that whatever you are perceiving is an actual god, however you define that? Any being with technology sufficiently more advanced than our own could be perceived as a god.
HEY NOW!!! I do object to the conctept of comparing some minutely impossible reality of a God versus the possiblility that the Earth is in fact flat. I have a very compelling argument for the latter which is in no way comparable to the former. And even though all scientific research is based on perception before anything else, the fact that the Earth can VERY WELL be phsyically comprehensible as flat is nowhere NEAR the absurdity of the "tangent to the line" of the non-exisitenct of God.

Of course, I will not give out the propositon in perception of the flatness of the Earth without a "Hell Yah!" from you and the folks out here. What I find in life is a dichotomy of intellectualism that is comparable with ethnocentrism of cultural biases. And it is quite Yucky!!!

You want proof of the flatness of the Earth? I got it! You want proof of God? Good Luck!

:)
I'm not 100% sure of anything.
Great post. Religion isn't just a business, It's a whole goddam industry ! The gross annual take, just in America is close to a hundred BILLION Dollars--untaxed.
I view the modern deity of God as a myth. If you want to make God something else; a universal creator, a concept, whatever.... He's the leader of the super hero team of myths: Zeus, Thor, Allah, Dionysis, Superman, Krishna, etc
I don't believe in anything remotely paranormal 100%!!! And proud of it
yes..... i'm sure there is no god. 200% sure.
but i do believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Bertrand Russel's orbiting teapot. Hail O Noodly one...... Bless us with thy noodley appendage. Yes, i am a devout Pastafarian!
One would have to describe what “god” they were talking about first. Meaning its attributes and whether it can influence nature. In other does it manifest in reality. ;O)

Katalyzt
I put god on the same level as the Tooth Fairy abd the Boogyman. Just as any sensible person is 100% certain that the Tooth Fairy does not exist, so I am 100% certain that god does not exist.

I laugh at anyone who tries to leave the door open for god with that "we can never be 100% sure of anything" routine, because they are simultaneously admitting that they give some credence to the Tooth Fairy, the Boogyman, Sagan's dragon in the garage and Russell's teapot! I mean, how silly is that?
Shame on you! There are countless scientific researchers that have put their "faith" in their science and scientific systems which have killed people. The very facts brought out by the Rogers Commission on the 7 deaths of the Challenger crew members should open your eyes to the infallability of humans and human groups pertaining to systemic knowledge and application.

In light of this and the very idea there could be a planet in a solar system in a galaxy extemely far away from here that actually does have something similar to a "tooth fairy" and/or a "Boogyman", not to mention a Sagan-type Dragon or a yet "un-recognisable to Earthlings" teapot circiling in actual orbit around that planet; does in no way permit you the egregious stance of extrapolating an Earthlike perception in simile upon the rest of the universe(s).

I'm not saying your wrong. But I'm also not saying you're correct. If you and I and a holy-roller were in a spaceship alone together on a trip to said planet, I'd be almost as hard-pressed to agree with your denials as much as I'd be hard-pressed to agree with the Bible-thumpers assertions. This simply for the fact that your assertions would appear to me as closed-minded as the other traveler since we're all about to land on a foreign planet.

Having said that: I do not believe in a God or Gods. But I also don't believe that your comparison of the above items is in any way comparable to the existence or non-existence of such extremely powerful entities. The likelihood of a God existing (in ultimate control of the Universe(s)) is so much more exponentially non-comparable to the existence of a fantasy-dragon living in Carl Sagan's garage, I don't know where to begin - not to mention comparing such powerful beings to a teapot floating in space, a scary monster holed-up in a child's closet or a mutant creature with a humanoid tooth-like fetish.

All I would ask is that we do more than try to compare apples to oranges. Because right now... I'm laughing at you. [And it's only because I need to laugh so that I don't cry over your lack of reason and the apparent bull-headedness of NOT only putting God(s) aside for clarity but your refusal to be open-minded to the possibilities of some weird crap we might just find out about.

Can't You See? It's only you, me and this insane guy that's about to land on this new planet and none of us has a clue what we'll find. LOL
There you go! I know for certain that there is a Tooth Fairy. In fact, I know the Tooth Fairy personally. You see, it just so happens that the Tooth Fairy is my dad! As a young child, having received several quarters ($0.25) in the past in exchange for lost teeth, I managed to awaken one night just enough to catch the Tooth Fairy making the trade. Just imagine my surprise when I realized my dad had another job at night while I slept. He must have never slept!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service