I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11572

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do your five prayers a day bring flourishing of all men and women? Does your god require beheadings and stonings as retribution? Do you think your god is the answer for all of us when we see the atrocities committed in your god's name?

I believe in free speech, freedom of individuals to pursue their self-interests as long as they do not infringe on another's rights to freedom. If there is a god, it would not look anything like yours. Spreading your god, using violence as the means, looks more like cancer to me. Your notions of god sound like a virus that spreads through sick ideas and diseased processes. 

Take your god off this site. I am an atheist and I do not want to read your malignant ideas. 

We need thumbs up buttons.

Anyway, if there were thumbs up buttons here I'd click it for you Joan. 

Thank you Leveni. 

@Joan.....Excellent  reply.....Not sure  how  he was even allowed  on this site...

He's not.  Report him.  I'm about to.

Huseyin, the veracity of the Quran depends, to a degree, upon the veracity of the biblical Old Testament. As this has been shown by modern scholarship & archeology to be mostly mythical it is evident that the Quran also contains myth & legend.

The Quran is reputed to be the work of one man, Mohamed, compiled 20 years after his death in 632 BCE. The oldest datable Quran, the Sana text from Yemen, is dated to 750 BCE. It shows evidence of redaction & is partially at variance with the current version.

Even if the Quran was was the work of one man, as in the case of Epistles of Paul, we have only his word for it. There is no way to verify Mohamed's claim that the angel Gabriel actually spoke to him. Furthermore, we have no scientific evidence for the existence of angels or any other supernatural entity.

Consequently I find even the most sophisticated Islamic apologetics totally unconvincing. As with Christian & Jewish defences of the faith you are using a claim to back up a claim. If you are going to convince me of anything you are going to have to provide scientific evidence to back up your assertions. Good luck with this as nobody has managed to do it so far.

Hi Huseyin,

I'm thinking there must be another version of the Holy Quran that you are keeping hidden from the world, because most of what you have written isn't in the Holy Quran. 

Also I doubt you are from Turkey. You sound like you are from Pakistan or India. Or maybe you are just quoting from a Pakistani or Indian preacher.

Also, Islam prohibits proselytizing. 

(Al-Baqarah 2:256) and  (Al-Kahf 18:29)

If you really are a Muslim, I hope you read these 2 extracts from the Holy Quran and think about them.

Anyway, I don't think you are going to last long here.

Good Bye.

I will tell you what his religion told him, because every body fooled with these peace verses

"They ask you about the sacred month - about fighting therein. Say, "Fighting therein is great [sin], but averting [people] from the way of Allah and disbelief in Him and [preventing access to] al-Masjid al-Haram and the expulsion of its people therefrom are greater [evil] in the sight of Allah . And fitnah is greater than killing." And they will continue to fight you until they turn you back from your religion if they are able. And whoever of you reverts from his religion [to disbelief] and dies while he is a disbeliever - for those, their deeds have become worthless in this world and the Hereafter, and those are the companions of the Fire, they will abide therein eternally."
2:217

"Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled."
9:29

Have you ever noticed how the religious trolls who come here tend to run on ad nauseum?  No one ever taught them that brevity is the soul of wit, maybe...

These ramblings come from a book called "The Flashes Collection"   By Said Nursi (1877-1960) 

Not that it matters or that I care, just for the sake of openness. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
14 minutes ago
Joseph Corder replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Chimp-on-chimp murder. Humans are not the only violent species.
36 minutes ago
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Atheist News
43 minutes ago
Luara replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
57 minutes ago
Luara replied to MattyLJ's discussion Moving to Florida
1 hour ago
Joseph Corder posted photos
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
1 hour ago
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Shaun Johnston's discussion Critical review of Darwin's "Origin..." 6th edition posted in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service