I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is probably a cockroach.

yes Craig  there probably is  a cockroach...It is verifiable after all......

I deny the existence of gods, but I wonder why so many people here capitalize the g in the word.

Or worse yet - G_d. Give me a freakin break, at least spell the g_ddamn word.

My guess is that whoever  posts  that is trying  to be respectful...After all we  should  not denigrate those who believe....We must  agree to disagree....Although  we should  never  give up trying to educate those  who believe in  such  fantasy...

I have a threshold for respect, and writing G-d instead of God is beyond it. Sorry, but I'm just trying to imagine that conversation with God .... "Well Joe, I've been weighing your good and bad characteristics to determine whether you will spend eternity in bliss or torment. I see here that you do give to charity, but that you cheated on your wife twice. I'm willing to overlook the adultery, on account of your church attendance, but what's this business about spelling my name with all three letters on your blog? I'm sorry son, but I'm afraid you're going to hell."

Is there really a need to freak out about it? 

I'm not freaking out about it, I'm just not willing to let it go un-noticed. It's the epitome of irrational thinking to believe spelling the name of god will somehow put one at odds with Mr. Omnipotent. It's right up there with the belief that drawing a picture depicting Mohammed in any manner is disrespectful.

Actually in some Christian and in deep biblical era it is considered a sin to speak or write the name of the deity.. Well for those other than priests ect. It was believed that knowing, writing, or speaking the name would give you power over him, it, or her.. This interestingly dealt with desert demon gods to which Yahweh actually is. 

So for some it's prohibited, and as said, could actually be intended out of supposed respect.

I was raised Jewish and my Hebrew school teachers (religious classes in addition to public school) taught me to write jee dash dee (G-d), but now I just write lowercase jee oh dee (god) or gods. In addition I was taught that anything with any name of god name on it could never be destroyed or thrown away. It had to be ritually buried...

WOW  Michael   that just  shows how theists  are  controlled.....I was  always  a rebel  and  rarely  followed  the rules  of religion ...I guess that explains  a lot about  me going  rogue...

Lets simplify this, or as in how I have myself determined with certainty there is no god..:

1. The definition of Existence is the "Totality of all that exists." It is everything, every force to cause, process, system, mechanism, state, function, essence of being, person, place, or thing. It is Causality..

2. Universe is defined by the oxford dictionary as "everything that exists" to which is synonymous with "Existence". Please note this definition differs from "Observable Universe".

3. Pantheism is the theistic belief that Existence (The Universe) is God. This produces a paradox in which complete nullifies the concept of GOD entirely to which can be noted in the following questions and answers below:

Q1. What is GOD without Existence?
A2: Non-existent, irrelevant, pointless, a non-entity, fictional, or a figment of the imagination at best.

Q2. If Existence is god while understanding the definition of Existence is all that exists, then what in and of existence is not? 
A2: Existence being defined as all that exists means everything and everyone is "GOD".. Therefore the concept of GOD is moot and essentially meaningless while also making any worship of itself from another part of itself rather Narcissistic and incoherent. Hence it makes no logical sense for Existence to worship itself and then punish itself for not..

Q3: If Existence is not GOD, then as above in contrast, what in and of existence is? 
A3: If Existence is not GOD, it is therefore by definition that there isn't anything in and of existence that is. Hence there is no possible such thing as a GOD by consequence of the premises and by definition alone. 

So here is the ultimate Question you can ask a theist:

Can you explain to me causality, purpose, meaning, functionality, consciousness, life, how we got here, why we are here, where we are, where we came from, what we are, essence of being, or anything at all without existence? 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service