I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 10713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you be 100% sure there is not an invisible pot of flowers in space that we cannot detect?

I don't think anyone can be absolutely certain of anything. We can't be absolutely certain that the sun'll come up tomorrow, but based on past performance, it's a pretty good bet.
But since we've seen no proof of gawd other than one very questionable book and a lot of 'faith", I'm fairly certain he's one of man's less useful inventions.
Should he put in an appearance before I take the dirt nap, I'll stand corrected.
Awesome reply. It is succinct. However, I have found that succinct does not work for most people that continue to question. So I was drawn to philosophy. Of course there, I found that prolific explanation becomes a drug. So I try to bridge the gap between succinct and ungodly wordly responses. (Please pardon the sad pun). I would invite anyone to see my posting on this topic because I believe that it expounds upon your post. But I must make acknowledge my post in no way implies that you "Larry Melton" agree with it. Thanks for the awesome discussion.
We also know that sunrise is an illusion caused by the spinning of the earth.  Given that science knows the mass of the earth and the rate of spin, we know that it's very likely to keep spinning for a geologically long time.  I've made plans for tomorrow, and I expect a lot of other people have, too.

Didn't the astronauts and cosmonauts on the International Space Station witness around 15 sunrises and 15 sunsets every 24 hours?

Is it an illusion to "see" sunrise?  Seeing is a perception and seeing the sunrise is a perception.  Astronauts have a different perception than Earth bound travelers.    

What is being seen is not an illusion. Perceptions don't lie. They tell exactly what is there. That it represents the up-going and down-going motion of the sun is the illusion, instead of the real spinning of the Earth. From Earth, the sun coming from below and going back down is the illusion that Craig talks about, not that we can see evidence of the movement of our planet in relation to the sun. I'm sure from space, it looks a lot less illusory.

"Perceptions don't lie"

What do you mean, seeing 15 sunrises is an illusion? Did they not see the sun rise over the Earth 15 times? Perception is standpoint specific. It depends upon where you stand as to what you see. 

Standing on Earth, I see one sunrise a day. 

Standing on a spaceship, I see as many sunrises as the ship circles the Earth. 

You're asking the wrong question. The question to ask is are you 100% positive there is a god?

If the answer is yes then prove why you are confident. If no then prove why I should even consider the matter.
Awesome reply. It is succinct. However, I have found that succinct does not work for most people that continue to question. So I was drawn to philosophy. Of course there, I found that prolific explanation becomes a drug. So I try to bridge the gap between succinct and ungodly wordly responses. (Please pardon the sad pun). I would invite anyone to see my posting on this topic because I believe that it expounds upon your post. But I must make acknowledge my post in no way implies that you "Tom Thompson" agree with it. Thanks for the awesome discussion.
PERFECT!! I love your logic! "Show me the money, I mean, the evidence!

yes, not to slight the OP's question... but I think this is a better one.

to answer the question...

I cant be 100% sure there is no god... But I 100% DO NOT BELIEVE there is a god... if that makes any sense.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service