I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, I understand. But nothing of what had been qualified since the original bolded, "Gods do exist" had made that statement acceptable. No amount of pretend or imagination makes what people mean by that actually exist. It was not me who said you owe me something. I think you owe me nothing. But saying that gods of any kind actually exist is flat out wrong. Some clouds, that are actually only clouds may resemble the shape of elephants, but they are not elephants

Karl Thacker

I didn't have to wait for your explaination. It came anyway, but thanks.

Karl Thacker

You definitely owe an explation to all of us. You do not believe in a creator, it would actually mean that you do not believe in a creator god, then do you believe in a personal god? It is also true when you say that gods are being used as crutches. In fact it sounds as if I have said this because I do use these words. These all words do show you to be an atheist, but the words in bold letters contradict all you have said. I did try to find out if there is some satire, but there appears to be none. If you have made an error, you should acknowledge the same.  

I'm 99.99999999999% certain that God does not exist.  That number is subject to change if any good scientific evidence is found to support the notion, but I'm not holding my breath.

I was strongly indoctrinated/brainwashed as a youngster, but as I grew up and started thinking for myself a little, I started having some doubts.  My thinking that god existed probably reached 50/50 by the age of 30, and I was probably 90% certain that God did not exist by the age of 50.  The more I learn about science and religion, the larger that number becomes.  I suspect I'll add quite a few 9's to that number in another 20 years.

Idaho Spud

Your programm for reaching total atheism is extremely slow. Why should you take so many years for what can be done now in a few minutes? You are among many confirmed atheists. There is tremendous knowledeg available to doubtful persons and remaining in suspense is no credit to one's wisdom in such circumstsnces. If there is a lot to be learned before you become a full atheist, start a discussion and many will come to your aid. Don't waste years for what can be achieved in minutes.

Practically speaking, I'm a total atheist.  I never worry about whether there might be a god and I live my life as if there is none.

I dont see any reason to distinguish between 100% sure and "technically 99.99...% sure because it is not disprovable".  I cannot disprove the existence of atomic particle-sized purple elves in my sock drawer.  That does not mean that I retain 1% certainty that they exist.  Not being able to disprove does offer any validity to a theory, so it must be treated as 0% chance of existence because that is what it has earned.

Actually, that's one one hundredth of one percent.  Not much possibility to allow.  I'm not that certain about much of anything.

Why do I even have to say I don't believe in any gods. It seems I'm allowing for the possible existence of some god(s) when I say that I don't believe in any.

Which is to say, I think there is no god. It's not that I simply don't believe in god. I think the point of the original post was that science cannot disprove god which opens up a mess of an argument.

I'm okay with the idea of being your Supreme Being, but don't look to me for more than you get from that other claimant to the position.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service