I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think there is anything wrong with certainty - I can always be wrong.... but in the meanwhile - I'm certainly right..... :)

I think there are six fundamental errors of religious thinking based on attitudes, beliefs, customs, traditions and values. Obviously I write from a white, female, USA bias:

anthropocentrism 
A belief that homo sapiens are the most significant entity of the universe that fosters interpreting or regarding the world in terms of human experiences.

sexism

A belief that gender is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that gender differences produce an inherent superiority of male gender over female and fosters discrimination against women and stereotypes of social roles based on gender.

racism
A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race that fosters racial prejudice or discrimination.

dominionism

A belief that a person or philosophy has the power to rule and control a country, region, people, individual, resources, etc., and claims the right to have dominion, power and control over all that swims, crawls, and flies. Furthermore, dominionists do strategic-level spiritual warfare to tear down "demonic strongholds" established by Satan and his demons, locally and globally.

exceptionalism

A belief that a god or a philosophy is unusual or uncommon or exceptional and results in inherent superiority over others producing a sense of right to have dominion over others or things. 

theocentrism

A belief that a specific and particular god is the central interest and ultimate concern of humans  which fosters values that impact their thoughts and actions, justifying dominionism.  

Surely the onus of proof is on those who do believe in something. If I claim to have seen fairies in the bottom of my garden, I cannot expect anyone to believe me unless I produce some proof - undoctored photographs, videos, interviews, third party observers, etc. I see no evidence of any metaphysical being so I don't believe in one. There is no statistical range necessary - until some concrete evidence is produced.

I have never seen proof that is conclusive that there is a god. 

I am 100% sure there is no god. Simple.

Nothing about religion makes any sense whatsoever. I am ashamed of the human race for still believing in feel good stories to explain certain happenings when science has done that and people refuse to acknowledge it.

"An Atheist loves himself and his fellowman instead of a god. An Atheist knows that heaven is something for which we should work now -- here on earth -- for all men together to enjoy".

-- Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Madalyn Murray O'Hair paid a heavy price for her thoughts and behaviors, didn't she Sandi.  We have it easy, compared to her pioneering work. 

What if god was a manager of a computer lab running a simulated universe that we exist in??

I wouldn't call that god. And I would say that that being and we are in the same universe.

I agree, that's just a manager in a lab; it's not a god. He would be subject to the same natural laws - for example, he wouldn't be causeless.

We'd still be left with the same problem of who, if anything, created him (and/or his universe). We'd still be stuck in the problem of infinite regress and we'd still be having the same conversation about the lack of god, God vs evolutionary forces, etc

I am not sure that a good has to actually be the apex of regress, what about polytheism?

I should clarify that I would agree the christian defined god would have to be the apex of regress. As to would most any monotheistic religion I have seen detailed, but I would say polytheism does not conform to this.

VeganApe

Difficult to imagine that a god who did not know what shape the earth is knew anything about computers.!

MADHUKAR KULKARNI.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service