I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 12994

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joan - it's just tough to know exactly what we are right about - on the cutting edge of what we know we have 100's of ideas about possible answers to questions - but there is perhaps only 1 or 2 correct answers - which we really don't know until they are tested - which may take a while.....  the current cutting edge of quantum mechanics and astro physics are interesting, and full of bizarre ideas about multipul universes, string theory, parallel universes and dark matter, dark energy etc.....  some of them may be in the ball park - but still we search to find evidence to support some of these ideas - and even Lawrence Krauss tells us that in a long time from now, current understanding will not be got at, due to the evidence disappearing from view....

You have obviously not studied quantum mechanics, Nor physics in general. You are simply wrong when you say zero chance or making a rounding error.

Wrong, buddy, I have studied it extensively and nowhere do experimental findings or mathematical prediction properly suggest such a bad idea as a human walking through a wall by chance. That is, as long as you are rational. Silly idea. It's phantasmagoria. You cannot use stuff you find with reason and logic to properly discredit the very process you use to discover. And one doesn't need to study physics in depth to realize that some of the conclusions that are taught in universities and the books at Barnes and Noble are fantasy. Walking through walls, come on.

'Walking through a wall' is meant as a metaphor; it's also sensationalised. It's a way of explaining a complex system. It's a linguistic way of illustrating that because atoms are 99% empty there's no reason why objects that are 99% empty shouldn't be able to pass through each other.

In many ways it's a poetic statement rather than a factual one.

We need to be very careful of metaphors. This is what went wrong with mono-theism in the 1st place! If you look at the history of mythology you will find that the metaphors used to explain complex philosophical concepts in other religions accidentally became 'scientific'/factual beliefs in monotheism. Mythologist Joseph Campbell also said that people erroneously began believing the signs and metaphors were real. I think one example he gave was that monotheism did the equivalent of thinking that the picture and description of meal in a menu was the meal itself. Somewhere along the way they forgot that it was just a sign/an indicator of something, but not the thing itself.

It is as simple as this, if you accept the possibility of an entire atom disappearing from one side of the wall and appearing on the other is existent but very low, You must accept that no matter how low the probability of a macro object doing the same whilst very low actually exists.

I could put this another way, You may right an essay and store it on a hard drive. Whilst mostly the amount of electrons that constitute the charge differential on a logical block will stay held as a digital logic one. there is still a possibility however low that all electrons will appear on the other side and switch the value to zero. If this were to happen in just the right sequence you could have your essay turned into "war and peace" over the course of a day. Agreed this is again so unlikely to happen that you will have seen the passing of several universes, but the possibility exists. Quantum mechanics is the basis of most of our modern electronic components and its only because of the large numbers of atoms involved that we have few problems, however some components utilise quantum effects rather than just taking them into account. the point however is that nothing is 100% certain. even the existence of the universe.

Doubting the existence of the universe. Now, you have gone too far. The universe necessarily exists. It is impossible for a human being to walk through a wall. There is a very very very very large number of combinations of subatomic, atomic, molecular, chemical and biological configurations that have existed, are existing and will exist and an even larger number of possibilities that won't and within all these sets of possibilities a human being walking through a wall is not among them, except in the case of very advanced technology.

You are simply wrong. I have explained why already. In relation to the universe my point is that it is just as possible for the universe to pop out of existence as  for an atom to relocate to another location, Both are very improbable events one just much more so than the other. As stated this is the basic function in every transistor in the computer you are on right now in relation to electron behaviour. I think the hard drive example should prove the point well enough. You have a philosophers view of the world, Just like a person who understands how a transistor functions at the schematic level instead of actually understanding the physics responsible for its performance....

I know 100% certainty I can't walk through a wall - you're going to get a saw head testing it......

very true

When I first responded to this thread, I said that I am as sure as I can be that there is no god or anything else supernatural, but that as a mere carbon based life form, I could be wrong.  After reading all these posts, I am now 100% sure there is no god.

LOL yes, it's always good bringing up debate in AN.... it really takes you to the edge! LOL

MCT, you are writing about things I don't understand and want to.  Looking up law of identity I discover I am way over my head if I am to understand you.  You may decline the task of educating me and if so, I understand.  On the other hand, if you could restate you logic and abstraction into concrete terms, I might catch on.  In the meantime, you cause me to take yet another adventure of discovery.  

I took logic in college and the only thing I remember is the prof. assigned 12 philosophers to read and I whote a proposal that I wanted to add a woman philosopher.  His response was that there are no women philosophers worthy of reading.  

Bummer!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service