I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agnostic atheists, but agnostic none-the-less.

I think there is no god.  Period.

That said, there is no way to be 100% sure of anything.  It is virtually impossible to prove that something does not exist.  With that in mind, there appears to more evidence for Bigfoot or the Loch-Ness Monster. 

Are you 100% sure that it is impossible to know something for sure? Skepticism fails at the outset.

MCT,

You are merely theorising. There are many points in my above reply where I have quoted Hitchens. They all need serious consideration. My answer to your question would be " I would not attempt to reply to your theorising, but as far as I am concerned, I am a 100% atheist, no less! If skepticism fails, the first failure would have been Gallileo!

Madhukar Kulkarni.

What am I theorizing about? It is not just a theory that the impossible cannot happen. People who say that one cannot be sure of anything are irrational because this is a contradiction in itself. Skepticism in the presence of contradictory evidence is appropriate, but as a fundamental principle is just wrong. Keeping open to the possiblility of the impossible existing is improper skepticism. It is to these two points that I am referring. So your answer to my question is that you won't answer it? I applaud Gallileo and Hitchens, but not in how they may maintain skepticism as universal and fundamental.

MCT,

What can be clear from my reply is that whatever the theory about the probality of the impossible happening, it is always posssible to take firm decisions. If that remote possilibility is to affect our decision making, bold decesion making wil be nonexisting in the world. Look at the faithfuls. The do not have an iota of doubt about their faith. So, even if you are theoretically right, there will always be subjects on which we will be called upon to take a firm decision. I have stated that I myself have taken a firm decision, just to add force to my argument, because I felt that atheism is one subject that needs my bold decision. 

MADHUKAR KULKARNI.

Come on dude,

"whatever the theory about the probability of the impossible happening"

-I just can't take people seriously that think there is even a remote chance of the impossible happening. At least you're correct about there being no god.

Buuurrrrrnnnnnn

What's the point to that comment, other than a demonstration of your emotional discontent? It's called logic, not revelation. Reason, not a burning bush. Brilliant comparison to the faithful, by the way. As if degree of belief had any causal correlation or inverse relation to truth.
Snap, he showed you!

My take is that god is extremely improbable. Equally improbable hypothese include unicorns and elves and ghosts.

In terms of everyday life, I think one has to assume that there is no god until such a time that the improbability of god's existence is reduced.

Furthermore, it makes no sense to assume in some improbabilities and not in others. Logic requires consistency. If you believe in god why not believe in other improbabilities such as Ra, elves, the loch Ness monster and Russell's flying celestial teapot?

MK, anti-faith certainty as a counterpoint?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service