I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 9724

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you sir (or mam). I learned a great deal. The worst thing I learned is that people can erase what happened in the past at will thereby not having to learn from the past.
hmm... she was raised secular and "found god" in her early teens. Makes me wonder.
thanks, it was very interesting
I am absolutely positive that the ridiculous, morally-challenged God depicted in the bible does not exist, for the same reason that I am sure that Santa Claus and Cthulhu are not real. God, Thor, Zeus, Allah, etc.,...all made-up by self-important humans with the preposterous idea that our tiny little planet on the outskirts of a run-of-the-mill galaxy of among billions of others is somehow the reason for it all.
I agree

@August Heim: Could you be more specific about vitriol?  There's plenty of disagreement, but I don't really see much in the way of vitriolic comments. 

(of course there are over 90 pages and I haven't read them all)

Also what does carbon nanotubes to the moon have to do with anything?

He is referring to the theoretical , but reachable scientific goal of a space elevator using carbon nanotubes to make up the tether the elevator would climb. I think, but do not know, that his contentions are that science as well as religion is fanciful.

@ August Heim: I disagree with you when you degrade science. You are not being accurate. What is your goal with such a vitriolic statement? 

August,

Omniscience is impossible. Not probably, certainly. And if you think that I cannot properly be certain of this, then that is evidence that you don't understand these issues. I know how reality and cognition work well enough to know that I can have knowledge, science helps with this, and that reason is the only path to knowledge. No reason to attack the concept of god? Ridiculous, considering all of the evil in this world perpetrated on behalf of and on the basis of mysticism and other forms of the denial of reality. By any measure, reason and logic have proven wrong what the ancients just made up. And by that same measure, we live our lives, learn more about the world and live or die by our understanding of our world with the knowledge we gain from this process. People who believe in god are willfully ignoring the same process that they would use to verify anything with validity. Everyone knows that feelings are not a sufficient criteria for knowledge. You must check what you think against reason. And the impossible just doesn't cut it. Reason and logic have never made this world worse, only when people don't use them or use them incorrectly does it have a negative effect. People are strong and happy, in the long run, because of their reason, despite their superstition and mysticism. And the scientific method is hardly made up to make someone feel better about their life and death, it is a rigorous method of repeated measurement and verification using reason and logic. How dare you compare it to just making shit up. If you think that plate tectonic isn't a good theory, then you must use reason and logic to show that it isn't. And if you have a problem with someone's opinion about nanotubes, then find out where there science is faulty. Don't blame people who know that god is impossible. Whichever claim is made, it is always reason and logic that must be used to verify it. What vitriol are you referring to? I call what is on this thread a debate about certainty. Sure there are ad hominems, but I don't see lots of mudslinging. Would you prefer everyone just be nice to each other and agree while blowing smoke up each others' asses?

"Humans make up things to explain what they don't understand. That is the same thing as the scientific method."

It is shocking that anybody on Atheist Nexus would make such a claim. August, if you think there's no difference between scientific explanations and religious explanations, what in the world are you doing here? If you don't understand that the attacks on plate tectonics were overcome with evidence and reason, then you don't understand the scientific method. Your comment just insults the intelligence of those who understand and value the scientific method.

Considering how much damage it has done to civilization and to the planet as a whole, there is every reason to attack the concept of god. Again, what in the world are you doing here if you think the concept of god is benign?

As far as I can tell, nobody on this thread is suggesting that science has discovered all there is to discover, or that anybody knows everything, or that theists should be treated disrespectfully. But ridiculous ideas deserve ridicule. Ridicule is a perfectly valid and useful tool against the ridiculous. There is a huge difference between attacking an idea and attacking a person. Ideas are absolutely fair game (else debate is stifled), and if people are so emotionally invested in their ideas that they perceive attacks on their ideas as attacks on their person, then the delusion runs pretty damn deep. Even where that is the case, there is no reason to accord any deference whatsoever to ludicrous (or indeed, impossible) concepts. There is reason to have some sympathy for the afflicted, but respecting bad ideas to spare hurt feelings is a recipe for intellectual suicide.

Very well put and accurate.

Science is the best tool we have to give us true descriptions of reality. That tool is by far not infallible, but again it is the best we have. For evidence how good it is, compare the life of a person living in the 1800s and early 1900s to someone today.

You cannot reach the enlightenment we have today with just reason or logic, or should I say it would take many millennia because reason and logic did not prevent us from entering the Dark Ages.

I agree that improper use of anything can be detrimental and should be attacked, but there somethings that should be put in the correct light of science even if it means war. I think getting rid of religion is that important.

Anyone who refuses to acknowledge evidence contrary to his beliefs, is a religious person.

It is impossible to be 100% positive there is not God. God is an unfalsifiable hypothesis.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service