I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11755

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Dr. pasted that article above. It is the same one. Should I assume that you do not agree with me that you cannot prove a negative?

Just providing the source in case anybody wanted to easily pass it on.

I think the discussion is mostly about how important it is to carefully unpack what seem to be 'simple statements.' I find the thesis a generally useful heuristic and, like most rules of them, there will be situations in which it does not apply. Emerson's quote about 'a foolish consistency' comes to mind.

There is one (correct) answer. Every single time you flip a coin, barring additional variables, it is 50%. If you ask what are the odds, from the beginning, of the coin coming up tails twice in a row, that is different (25%), but each time, the odds are 50%. What the previous coin toss resulted in cannot possible affect what the next one will be, unless the toss isn't randomized by something like a person throwing it up high and spinning.
ego is faith, I like that. The ability to see only I, versus reality! good one :)
Terrible.
It's actually an interesting thought! Only a tremendous ego could possibly think that our perception of being spoken to by some god is "reality". I see it as quite amusing really.

Only a tremendous self could think god is reality?  I believe you are erroneously attaching arbitrary and negative attributes the concept of self. It is the grouping of cells in our heads, locally, that allows for logic and reason to exist and you are saying that the denial of reality is centered around the thing that makes reason and logic possible.

Unless you are talking about some Freudian shit, or a improperly inflated sense of self.

I see my ability to 'run' my causal mental machinery, as an ego, is what makes me strong and human. And that faith, or willful ignorance, has more to do with surrendering one's reasoning mind to emotion, through god, or turning it away from reality.

Inflated egos are a very common feature of modern Homo sapiens. You may indeed disagree with my opinion, but I think inflated egos goes a very long way in explaining religious dogma. It's not something I had previously considered, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

I will concede that all people, at one time or another, have a limited sense of self-awareness, some more than others, whether over or under inflated, that can lead to error and hubris. This is very far removed from the irrational statement that ego equals faith. Ego is good. Faith is bad. Over or under-inflation of one's sense of self are both bad, but thinking from a distinct identity's point of view is implicit in humanity and the only way one can think. And while our viewpoints are subjective, we can, in fact have contextually valid objective concepts about things and ideas in the world. This is how we form knowledge, by integrating  groups of things with similar essential characteristics, while omitting their measurements (concept formation) without contradiction.

When a singular brain opens its eyes, it sees the world, not itself, unless it is looking into a mirror and even then it is picture of that brain's partial self and other parts of reality.  It is impossible to see only one's self. In fact, our senses tell us about the world and how we interact with it. It is only after putting lots of things together mentally do we come up with our identity. What are you guys trying to get at? That the ego is mystical. Or selfishness leads to faith? I guess you believe that selfishness is bad?

I completely reject this idea. You are abjectly conflating two very different things. Ego is or equals or if defined by the self. And faith is belief in the absence of evidence or reason. To have a thought, one must be an individual brain. And certain presumptions about the world are necessary and real, lest the rest of the world could not exist, nor could cognition. You defined your own terms and then you just throw them away, like most postmodern subjectivists, i.e., according to you---> Ego is trust in confidence, often without evidential proof. This is missing the one essential and sufficient characteristic of ego that gives it its identity. Self. Which is implicit in all thought, even reason. And it also adds in arbitrary meaning that belongs somewhere else--->faith.

One side of your coin had a T and the other an F. Heads and tails. In this world, a two sided coin, if equally balanced and tossed randomly, will come up with one particular side up 50% of the time and I know this through reason and logic, not faith. You say I presume the two sides, fine, so what. If someone rigs the coin game, then the odds will be calculable and might be different than 50/50. Simply put, a coin will come up heads trending towards 50% of the time, on average and the odds each time will always be 50%, unless you add variables. The more variable you add the more complex the game. If you tell me that it is not a real coin or it is something I don't know about, I will not tell you that there is a 50% chance. I would tell you that I must research the situation more. You need zero faith to play the coin toss game. My ability to predict is knowledge I have.

"A non-faith based answer would be "assuming a standard coin 50/50"".

What do you think this means?

"In this world, a two sided coin, if equally balanced and tossed randomly, will come up with one particular side up 50% of the time and I know this through reason and logic, not faith."

So, you will never completely reject and idea? What about invisible pink unicorns? Do you save some possibility for them? Or do you just have faith that they do not exist?

No matter how many people look at a coin toss, if random, and, by their observation, they cannot change the outcome.

There are axiomatic concepts that must be assumed for one to even think. This does not mean that I faith, or belief in them without evidence. They are not only logically consistent and coherent, but necessary. Faith is only necessary for religion and mysticism.

Hypothetically.  If I present you with a two-sided coin.  One side as a T the other an F. I flip it once and it lands with the T facing up.  I promptly destroy the coin and ask what is the probably that the a T would have landed face up on the next flip what would you say?

Well in this simple situation, it seems to me that almost everyone will admit that they just don't know. They can tell you what they think... based on what they know about you... but no one will claim that their answer is the one true answer. It would be ridiculous in this context.

It's easy to let go of ego when all that is at play is a coin.

The ego will only come in when you start talking about things that give a meaning to your life.

We've all experienced it... not wanting to admit something could be true, because we would then have to rebuild our life foundations, and admit our past comittements were useless and wasted time.

I don't believe faith is a requirement for existence. It's very easy to get by just fine when you're admitting that everything you know about your surroundings are suppositions, and that you can be surprised at all times.

It actually makes life a lot easier in my opinion... it'll just weaken your rethoric when faced by someone who has faith (faith being blind certitude basically...)...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service