I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11568

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do you define skepticism? And skeptic. With concrete language please. What do you think are the essential qualities of these ideas that make them so?

I'll admit, I have not been operating on an explicitly defined concept, but I call people who doubt knowledge in the absence of contradictory evidence, skeptics. I guess, what I really mean is that these people are too skeptical, they are irrational. Proper valid skepticism is healthy doubt in the presence of incomplete or contradictory evidence. But another part of me thinks that doubt in the presence of incomplete or contradictory evidence is just part of the normal integration process and skeptics are always wishy-washy, no matter what, as a rule. These brand of skeptics assert that they know for certain that certain knowledge is impossible, which we both recognize as idiotic.

Think about it this way, if there was god which one would it be? Christians would be pissing off the Hindu gods, Muslims would be pissing off the Greek gods, and etc..... There is no reason to speculate about what if there is a god? because there is so many to choose from. I think Richard Dawkins stated this, "that we are all atheists with respect to someones religion is that atheists just go one god further".
I am 100 percent sure that the christian/jewish/muslim god(s) don't exist. Deism? maybe, but still likely untrue.
That pretty much sums up where I stand on the matter.
Where did Joel Potter go? All his posts have disappeared also. He wanted to have a private discussion/debate with me but seems to have disappeared. Bye Joel. Come back if you can.
Sigh. The burden of proof falls on the claimant. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Scott:

Good question. I'd be a fool to say that I am 100% certain there is no God. What I can say with 100% certainty is that the God most of us were taught about does not exist. The Bible, both testaments, if the ramifications weren't so sad, would be the most hilarious book ever written. The other religious foundational texts aren't much better. Most are very long, poorly constructed farces with the human race as the object of the jokes or wrath of these powerful intervening beings.

I would remind you that there is no such thing as proof of a negative. So, from what we know there is no positive evidence anywhere for a God, gods, demi-gods, etc. That being the case, it's not likely there is one pending some scientific, positive proof of God.

As for me, if there is a God and it in anyway is an intervening God as described in religious texts, I'm putting the useless bastard on trial for negligence and fraud. So even if I'm wrong, no fear.

I am 99.999% sure that we're not the creation of some colossal alien lab student.

However 100% sure that there is no god.

Remember, when you talk of god, you talk of divinity...which is 100% human fabrication. The term divinity isn't even clear to the religious people themselves! It's to do with.. like... good supernatural energy... or something.

And if you're talking of none-divine creators, then you're talking about aliens.

Yep.
I prefer, for the reasons of intellectual honesty, to simply say "I find it unlikely there is a god". This also gives dumb christians the chance to think for a moment they might have some convoluted reason I should convert, giving me the chance to shoot them down. :)

As long as you equally say that it's "unlikely" there is a Santa, or unicorns, or an Easter Bunny... then you'd be consistent. But would you really want to lead people on by pretending that there is such a possibility? I've never raised infants, but if I did, I would not teach such possibilities to my children. It's kinda like saying that snake oils "might" work.

The problem of the question is the definition of the term "god". Some liberal religious people believe that "god" is not a being, but more a feeling they have during rituals or social interactions, even music.

If you define "god" as such a manifestation of a feeling, you could prove the existence of "god" by measuring the brain activity of such a liberal religious person.

Such a definition of the term "god" is used by liberal people who accept scientific facts but want to hold on to their tradition. I think the definition of "god" is one of the major problems for modern, liberal theologians.

Because the term is so badly defined, it is hard to discuss it properly. (That may be the reason, why so many of our atheist arguments focus on extreme definitions of the term.)

I define "god" as a supernatural being or process of some sort. I am totally convinced that nothing "supernatural" exists, whatever it may be. Supernatural means, it is beyond natural processes and out of the reach of science. Rational argumants can only disprove predictions, that are made by religious world views. They can show that natural (!) processes lead to certain phenomena. This can disprove a "supernatural" theory indirectly. A direct disprove of a supernatural idea is literally impossible, because it is out of the reach of any rational method that could prove or disprove.

Therfore we can't be sure 100%.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service