I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 10836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, I would not consider that a correct analysis~ it seems to me that I might not be conveying my thoughts as well as I ought, but it also seems that you are deliberately avoiding the point that is being presented.  An idea is not lent any credibility just because there is no direct evidence against it~ it is only lent credibility when there is evidence for it.  Maybe I am misusing the black swan analogy, although it seems to make sense for me; but what I take from your subtle conclusions to my argument is that there certainly is the possibility for winged elephants, fire-breathing fish, and invisible birds~ after all, there are black swans, and we'd hate to be wrong about something else.

"I don't think they do, because the inductive reasoning and available evidence (empirical or rational) are overwhelmingly in favor that they don't."

Thats the point~  An idea is not lent any credibility just because there is no direct evidence against it~ it is only lent credibility when there is evidence for it.

There is no evidence for a god of any sort, in any concept.  There was  no evidence at the time for black swans either.  Yes, they were wrong, but it wasn't necessarily their reasoning that was wrong, it was the scope of their knowledge that was insufficient.  The natives that lived in the america's had no concept of Europeans or other people, because there was no reason for them to.  While they were wrong, they were right within the scope of their knowledge.  While we don't know the answers of the universe, there is no credible reason to believe that there is a god, no credible reason to lend the idea any weight at all.  Yes, we could be wrong, but being wrong about a reasonable idea is infinitely better than being right about an unreasonable one.

The Tooth Fairy is more beleiveable than all this godgobbering jehovah jiving jesus junkie gods muck enduced slaughtering of untold millions since it's invention.

And for what?

An absurd notion of a weird sky man with super powers.

Where is the intelligence in that!!!

The thing that I HATE so much about all godgobbers is that they are supposed to be protected and given respect because of strange political correctness ideas by wowseristic do-gooders and even some so called Atheists.

I call these Atheists, Psuedo Atheists.

Freedom of religion has done nothing but caused untold slaughter on Planet Ours. It is our planet.And our planet has been infected by this cancerous scourge called religion. And let's NEVER EVER forget the never ending sexual abuse of innocent kids that lurks around religion. Especially in the biggest godgobbering cults on Planet Ours, such as the catholic and anglican.

All the screaming protests about them not being cults make me wanna throw up on these claims.The monstrous catholic billion dollar empire has always been and forever will tick all the boxes on what a cult is. And so does all the rest of these groups of super sky man beleivers.

For me, statistically speaking, knowledge becomes valid/certain around the 97% certainty level. I place "mysterious godly forces" at around 1000 trillion to one probability. There are no gods.
  The word and belief of g?d is only a human concept, from dreams and superstitions!!! But we evolved from simple life forms, "but" as of a unknowen intelligent alien that would be evolved from simple forms to, that might have superstitions and dreams of a higher form, or forms of a deity as we have!!!!   I have a pure 100% that their is no g$d or g$ds!!!  it is only in the evolving mind for something better in lifes wishes!!!!as of the false hope of some kind of saver will come along!!!! as the religions use as a powerful tool of control$$$ 
I don't like to throw numbers out there like 99.99% or anything like that because that would just be a random guess and I haven't actually sat down and crunched the numbers.  So let's just say I'm pretty sure there is no "God" as people think of it.  Now you could always redefine God as simply the creator so in turn whatever created the universe would technically be God.  Then you could say the Big Bang is God.  I've heard this argument before and although technically it might make some sense I think intellectually it's being dishonest with yourself.  The implications would be that God does in fact exist when in actuality you are simply redefining the definition of God to make it exist.  So I'm not sure if I answered the question or not but I think that like most things in life, it seems like a simple question when in fact it can be quite complicated.  One thing I am sure of is that the gods of the major religions are nonexistent.
I'm not positive that there is no God, but I believe that there is no evidence worthy of even entertaining the possibility of there being a God. And say we found a "God"... we would probably avoid that term upon learning more about it because there would have to be a natural explanation for it. So I guess it depends on what you consider a "God" to be. If God HAS to be supernatural, then no, I am 100% certain there is no "God."

sorry for joining late...

I am 100% certain that no God or Gods as described by any major (or minor) religion has any existence at all. I am 99.9% certain that no supernatural higher power of any kind exists, but if there was something it is unlikely to be anything like any of the descriptions in world religion which almost exclusively (apart from Buddhism??) seem to give "god" certain human attributes (for obvious reasons!).

Physics and nature are more powerful than we are, which would make them higher powers ;-) Do I need to go to church to believe in nature? lol

I can't say with 100% certainty that there is no god, as there is no proof that he does not exist.  However, there is also no credible evidence that he does exist, so I can say with pretty much 99.99% certainty that there is no god.
I'm not 100%, there are points where I question, but all I can do is the best I can.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "God".  If you are talking about the all knowing, all caring, and all powerful super being who controls everything...  I can say I'm 100% sure there is no such being.  If you're just talking about a much more advanced being who started this whole existence off, I'd say there's a small...very, very small chance (don't want to put a number to it).

I always get baffled by the idea of a super being, which is all knowing and all powerful, but wants or need the worship and love of such small and insignificant things such as humans.  The ego on that being would be extremely scary!!

I just wanted to edit my reply....edit by adding to it, because I believe I showed poor skill in my argument.

I do not believe in God because I've never been shown any form of evidence what so ever and I no more believe in God than I do the tooth fairy, but I have about the same chance of disproving the tooth fairy as I do disproving God... The burden of proof isn’t on me.  My jump to "100% sure" I'm chalking up to an emotional response to arguments from the other side that ignore reason or outright lie, with and without malice, to try to prove that they are correct.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service