Would it be too demanding from the US citizens here on A|N, at least those who post in non-localized groups, to avoid starting discussions on general topics, and then write things like our government, our Nation, our country, our Constitution, our education system, or our Health and Welfare, without even mentioning they're writing from an US of A perspective first? At first it may be amusing, after a while it becomes boring and offensive. As if US citizens weren't aware there's a world beyond their borders (a common gripe towards Americans).

It's OK to behave like that in the American Atheists or Texas Heathens groups, I think it's not in, eg, the ORIGINS group or the main forum. I'm well aware that most of its members are from the USA, but isn't A|N an international community?

Pardon the rant, but I've been around for only a few months, and I've seen this happen at least half a dozen times already. I thought it had to be reported.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

Tags: A|N, community, rant, world

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent!
Glen,

I was not referring to you. I was actually responding to some of the comments made early on in this thread.

Here are a few more definitions:

Dictionary.com

big•ot
n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Merriam-Webster

Bigot:
n. a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I am horrified by many of the actions of the US government. I am discouraged and angered by the behaviors and beliefs of many Americans. I am also inspired by the intelligence, open mindedness, and compassion I have found in my circles.

The US is a very big place containing 1000s of subcultures. There are certainly cultural trends and social norms within these subcultures and within the greater culture. But at best, broad generalizations about a group of people contain only elements of truth and are not predictive of individuals within the culture.

I am not offended by the bashing of Americans so much as I am by demonstrations of bigotry in general.
Indeed, with 300+mil Americans, it's statistically unlikely that we all suck. I wouldn't take any offense to someone saying that 150 million americans suck- I could stand behind an estimate like that. ;)
Well, pretty much by definition, half suck and the other half blow, if a vacuum cleaner is any indication. I just can't figure out why both suck and blow mean "bad".
Again, good point. Same reason you drive in a parkway I suppose.
David: it's statistically unlikely that we all suck. I wouldn't take any offense to someone saying that 150 million americans suck

I don't think this has anything to do with individuals. Notice that people who say "Americans sucks" would never say (I think) things like "the (average) American sucks." More often than not, generalities like these are about patterns of collective thinking that don't always translate at the individual level.
LMAO, like most anyone could afford one. We are an expensive breed!
And I apologize if anyone took my comments seriously- I'm an American who basically makes light of everything.
Larry: seems the booble says the reverse can't be true... I wonder why?
...useless to say, that in Turkey or Arabian countries they mostly don´t use toilet paper - they simply use water to wipe their asses, which is similar the more civilized "boudoir"...and much better for the environement ;-)
...I´d like to state, that most of the worlds people don´t live in the states - as do most of the technically advanced; how could a minority of 250 or so million people think, that they´re the navel of the world ? Don´t you States citizens imagine, that your (exceptions are made) way of life and your way of thinking, your States-centered position is the reason for your government to interfere with almost every national affair on the globe, relying on the power of the US-army and an unbeatable ignorance to international duties (your country hasn´t even paid your debts to the UNO for a long time, but lays claim to a leading position in there, including a permanent mandate in the UN security council) and agreements. The States have the worst economical system on the whole globe (producing one joule worth of food in the States uses up 128 joule of energy, for example), produces over a third of whole global pollution but not even signed the Tokio protocol (at least, you did now, of course with lots of exceptions and special annotations), US-American extremely turbo-capitalistic banks and broking companies caused the actual world-wide financial and economical crisis, but no one in the States feels guilty about it - only moaning about your own interests and so-called life standard.

Not to say, that we Austrians (a small country in the heart of Europe, we don´t have Kangaroos here) are so much better in this, but at least we don´t all the time interfere with foreign concerns, and if we do, we don´t see it as our natural right and destiny. And, we are less people here, of course...

We are used to differ between "our country" or "our affairs" and foreign ones, maybe because Austria is a small country, but I guess, it´s because we do learn so in school and when we grow up. We don´t look for the next McD (though meanwhile I wouldn´t bet on this, `cause worst parts of American culture have polluted our country too), when elsewhere, nor won´t we usually bring issues about "toilet paper" as our main expressions back home...;-)

As a conclusion, I´d like to remark, that you, the citizens of the United States are making possible most of the facts, that are making foreign people dislike your country and it´s international behaviour, and it should be patially) your duty to change them.

No personal offense claimed here, I`ve seen most of you people in here much more open-minded and socially advanced than the average "American", maybe `cause it´s not a stand-alone process of thinking to free oneself from the bondage of religiousity...
Yeah you're right about much of what you say, but you have to admit that people are legendarily bad at admitting fault. I've traveled around a little bit while in the military and I met quite a few people who were outside of their native countries and only a few stationed where they lived. Of all of those people, the people of Iraq and Saudi Arabia were the only people I met who consistently stated of their own free will that their country has and makes serious problems. Notice I said consistently as there's always that fringe element who could admit to the faults of their country. At the risk of sounding generalized Americans and Europeans were the worst at admitting to their own faults and best at pointing out each others (I think everyone agreed things were bad in Iraq/Saudi). Oh and the worst at admitting to the faults of their countries were Marines (US and Royal). Holy crap, those guys wanted to fight if you even mentioned it a lot of the time.
addendum: Almost all of the people I spoke to on this matter were soldiers so I'm sure that color's the information more than a little. ;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service