Would it be too demanding from the US citizens here on A|N, at least those who post in non-localized groups, to avoid starting discussions on general topics, and then write things like our government, our Nation, our country, our Constitution, our education system, or our Health and Welfare, without even mentioning they're writing from an US of A perspective first? At first it may be amusing, after a while it becomes boring and offensive. As if US citizens weren't aware there's a world beyond their borders (a common gripe towards Americans).

It's OK to behave like that in the American Atheists or Texas Heathens groups, I think it's not in, eg, the ORIGINS group or the main forum. I'm well aware that most of its members are from the USA, but isn't A|N an international community?

Pardon the rant, but I've been around for only a few months, and I've seen this happen at least half a dozen times already. I thought it had to be reported.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

Tags: A|N, community, rant, world

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, no. Stoppage is when you run instant replays and explain the oddities of the rulebook to the fans. Absolutely essential. Plus, you can zip into the kitchen to grab a fresh beer without missing anything.
Why do the fans need the rules explained to them?
Because the rules are so freakin' complicated. Not for the bulk of the game, obviously, but every once in a while you'll have some weird "too many receivers downfield" violation or something. It's probably mostly the beer and commercials thing, really, but the instant replays are nice, since you can't watch all 22 players all the time.
See, now this is where I get confused. Why are you watching all 22 players? Surely the only players that matter are the one that has the ball, and the ones that are trying to jump on him?
I actually find the rules of gridiron to be quite simple - don't smash the passer or the kicker, you have 5 eligible forward pass receivers etc.
No way! I'll do my best to avoid it so you can feel the pain too! Yup :^)
Well I was going to just say that I'll try to point out my US citizenship before I start bitching but now I also have to say the following about sports:
Yes American football is a little boring but the players are not weak because they wear "body armor." Their only real weakness is conditioning.
Rugby isn't really much better (Sorry Mel, I still love ya Mate. btw, we watch all 22 players because they are each executing their part of a play. It's a lot like soldiers on a battlefield if that makes sense.).
Futbol (we call it Soccar in America) takes a lot more skill and athleticism than both Football and Rugby combined.
The best full contact sport in the world is Mixed Martial Arts.

Anyway, I'll really try to point out that I'm an American particularly when speaking of church and state issues.
I'm just teasing about the body armour :D
It just amuses me that here are young men who are like "Yup, yup, I'm off to play by big MAN'S GAME thats all about taking hits for the team, and here is my 50 pounds of body armour!"
Oh I know bro and I certainly don't take offense. It would definitely make football more interesting (and fatal) if they didn't where all that stuff. I've heard the average collision in pro football is similar to being in a car accident. You'd be a bad mother if you could play for a whole year without being crippled!
Oh I couldn't agree more Glen. BUt you know there'd still be plenty of guys willing to do it just for the glory let alone for a giant paycheck. Mercenaries risk their lives for a lot less than pro football players and people do daredevil stunts for no compensation at all.
Thanks for the heads up, Jaume! I was completely unaware of the issue and will try to be more sensitive. Ethnocentrism can create blinders even when you try to guard against it. Sucks to be a minority on every front!

For the USA bashers... You might be surprised to find that there are people here in the US with whom you would fit in quite well. We call em bigots!
Terry Pratchetts rule of mob IQ - it is the IQ of the dumbest person in the group divided by the number of people in the mob.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service