Would it be too demanding from the US citizens here on A|N, at least those who post in non-localized groups, to avoid starting discussions on general topics, and then write things like our government, our Nation, our country, our Constitution, our education system, or our Health and Welfare, without even mentioning they're writing from an US of A perspective first? At first it may be amusing, after a while it becomes boring and offensive. As if US citizens weren't aware there's a world beyond their borders (a common gripe towards Americans).

It's OK to behave like that in the American Atheists or Texas Heathens groups, I think it's not in, eg, the ORIGINS group or the main forum. I'm well aware that most of its members are from the USA, but isn't A|N an international community?

Pardon the rant, but I've been around for only a few months, and I've seen this happen at least half a dozen times already. I thought it had to be reported.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

Tags: A|N, community, rant, world

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mel, what's all this about rugby, then? It seems like you can't stop talking about it.
NZ's rubgy team is extraordinary. We're awesome. We're a completely rubgy obsessed nation... we can just never win the World Cup. But it's a constant bone of contention among NZ'ers, Ozzies, South Africans, and to a lesser extent the Brits and Europeans who play. Second only to the ground-grubbing incident!!!!

Rubgy, for those who don't know, is a game a lot like American Football, except played by real men who don't wear body armour. :D Americans don't play it, but it's big in most of the Commonwealth and Europe.

I dont much like the game, but it's a matter of patriotism!
And we still haven't forgotten the food poisoing incident either!

Kiwi's are good at holding grudges when it comes to sport. :D
Kiwi's are good at holding grudges when it comes to sport. :D

I hope you won't hold a grudge against us for sending Dan Carter back with a torn Achilles tendon then (he played a few matches for 'my' team, glad to see he recovered).
OK, now I really hesitate to ask, but ground-grubbing incident?

And what about Australian-rules football? I saw an exhibition match in Portland, Oregon, once. It was brilliant. The program listed the names, ages, weights, and date of most recent knee surgery for all the players. At one point, there was a foul and both teams started brawling, except for the penalty kicker and a couple of members of the defense who watched him to be sure it was fair. The refs completely ignored the brawl and when the whistle blew to announce the game was on again, the brawl evaporated. Hockey should take a lesson from that. Don't like the fighting? Put the puck back in play. They'll figure out where their priorities are.
NZ'ers don't play much Aussie Rules. But I stand by my comment about the body armour.

The Ground-Grubbing or Underarm Bowling Incident was in 1981. NZ lost a game because the Ozzie bowler bowled underarm, the ball was a ground-grubber (it rolled along the ground) and so the batter couldn't hit it properly to get a six-pointer which would have tied the game.

Underarms were legal at the time, but a ground-grubber is generally considered a useless bowl and in less formal conditions would be picked up by the batter and tossed back to the bowler for a do-over. But because it was a test match, it was allowed.

Underarm bowls were promtly banned from test cricket and Kiwis have been bitching about it ever since.

(Look, we have a functional economy, a health system that makes the news when it fails instead of when it works and generally good international relations. We have to talk about SOMETHING! :D)
Oh, I agree about the body armor in US football. That's one of the reasons I think Australian rules football is so cool.

And if you're talking about cricket, you might as well give up on me. I had some people from India try to explain it to me once, but other than the fact that physics is somehow involved, it just made no sense at all. And they said that cricket games used to last for days, instead of just a few hours. I mean, I get that the uniforms are dashing and all, but really, shouldn't a sport finish in an afternoon?
Yeah, it was cricket. :D
Yes, the games absolutely DO run for days. A three day test match is considered a great excuse for a boozy picnic.
Personally, I think it's one of the most boring games on the planet - if you're on the batting team you might do nothing for literally hours while your teammates are in. If you're fielding, then you're fairly likely to be whereever the ball isn't (pure statistics there) and the batters are actively trying to keep it away from you!
Backyard cricket is much more fun as everyone is required to have a turn at everything and the dog joins in the feilding and fetching the ball of the roof of the house is good entertainment for all!
I don't like rugby, but it's the only thing we reliably kick butt in that people still care about.

What about tattoos? You've got the most beautiful tattoo culture on the whole planet!
Moko are wonderful, yes.
Rugby is probably the most awesome full contact sport - Minimal stoppage time is one of the foundations of it, so if Americans, used to Gridiron watch it, they're surprised at how fast and flowing the game is.
Stoppage. That's what completely kills Gridiron for me. I guess it's a side-effect of consumer culture (it's handy for airing a TV ad or two every minute).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Michael Penn replied to Ceil's discussion An interesting discussion on Santa...
1 minute ago
Deidre replied to JP Carey's discussion I Am Good Because...
7 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
9 minutes ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
21 minutes ago
34 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
34 minutes ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
47 minutes ago
1 hour ago
Daniel W replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Gardening in central Texas "pan" soil in the group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Leon Gretsky replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
1 hour ago
Deidre posted a status
"Happy holidays to all of you here! :)"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service