Would it be too demanding from the US citizens here on A|N, at least those who post in non-localized groups, to avoid starting discussions on general topics, and then write things like our government, our Nation, our country, our Constitution, our education system, or our Health and Welfare, without even mentioning they're writing from an US of A perspective first? At first it may be amusing, after a while it becomes boring and offensive. As if US citizens weren't aware there's a world beyond their borders (a common gripe towards Americans).

It's OK to behave like that in the American Atheists or Texas Heathens groups, I think it's not in, eg, the ORIGINS group or the main forum. I'm well aware that most of its members are from the USA, but isn't A|N an international community?

Pardon the rant, but I've been around for only a few months, and I've seen this happen at least half a dozen times already. I thought it had to be reported.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

Tags: A|N, community, rant, world

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sacha wrote: "All I can say is you will never find that from me."

How nice for you! Choose the right parents did you? You should not hold yourself up as an example of cosmopolitan virtue; you actually sound snobbish and arrogant.

I don't like being the one to tell you this but most people in most other nations have never been outside their own countries either; the European upper middle class and residents of small countries such as Lichtenstein are probably an exception. Many of them have no desire to travel either. Does that disgust you also? Western Europe might be an exception but then most of western Europe is closer than the distance between Los Angeles and Chicago and these small nations are well connected by rail. At least Americans have the excuse of long distances to travel, with travel to Canada and Mexico somewhat excepted.
I'm not US-centric because I chose not to be. It has absolutely nothing to do with my parents, although my parents were open minded and accepting about other cultures and people. Just like many Atheists have religious parents. I go out of my way to explore the world out there, even if it is doing research on the web and in books if I am unable to afford to get there personally.

Your anger is misplaced.
Yes, it would be nice if Americans remembered that this is an international site and that not all members share American cultural values. I like Americans in general, but I admit that the 'free speech uber alles' thing grinds me down. I know it is ingrained into Americans from birth, but it irritates me no end that many cannot seem to imagine that people in other civilised countries tend to put human rights, dignity and the safety of their citizens above 'free speech' and the societies have not actually fallen into decay. That is not to say that free speech isn't important, or that I support censorship for the sake of censorship. But I do not support anyone's right to publicly spruik their racist, homophobic or otherwise bigoted bile at the expense of decent people who suffer from these attacks.
That is not to say that free speech isn't important, or that I support censorship for the sake of censorship. But I do not support anyone's right to publicly spruik their racist, homophobic or otherwise bigoted bile at the expense of decent people who suffer from these attacks

Hear hear!
OK, I googled on spruik and I still don't get what it means:

"(transitive, Australian) To promote a thing or idea to another person, in order that they buy the thing, or accept the idea " Does it just mean "try to convince"?

Unfortunately, I also cant find an English:Australian translator function on google, either. I hope I never need to find toilet paper there.
And whatever you do, don't spruik the stuff. That would hurt. Actually I think "pimp" might be a synonym, though I confess I don't fully grasp the meaning of "pimp" used as a transitive verb, either. Ah well, sic transitive gloria, I suppose. I think that has something to do with the gastrointestinal tract.
Is it all the way up to 50 now?
Nerd, the 50th star on "our" flag is actually an asterisk. Please see the annotation on the bottom stripe for a list of territories. And yes, I'm now counting Alaska as a territory after the Sarah Palin fiasco!
Hey, 51 would be cool. Three rings of 17 each. And one of them could still be an asterisk. Hell, they could all be asterisks, as a reminder to Republicans that the side that supported states' rights lost the big war.
The non-Americans will unfortunately have to put up with rants about gun control, free speach, abortion, and Constitutional ammendments. Sorry... this must get pretty boring

Frankly, I'm quite comfortable with that... as long as it's made clear in the title or opening paragraph. Or at least, as long as the context of the post is clearly identified. What I find annoying (and I think I made it clear in my rant) is when someone starts a discussion on a topic not specifically pertaining to the USA (like evolution, ancient cultures, or general philosophy), never mentions his/her origin, and suddenly drops an expression like 'our government' or 'our country'. WTF? As far as I could tell, this person could as well be posting from Burma or Island.
Sadly, "Island" doesn't show up on my map. Care to illuminate?
Ack, that's Islande in French and Iceland in English. The two spellings conflated somehow :(

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
25 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
30 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's video
33 minutes ago
Andrew Bradford Hoke commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's video
52 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's photo
1 hour ago
Luara commented on Loren Miller's photo
2 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
James M. Martin commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
2 hours ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
2 hours ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
2 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service