Atheist Nexus Logo

Is Atheism a chiefly liberal or conservative philosophy?

I know this may seem like a bit of an odd question but I’ve been wondering about it for the past few days and for some reason I can’t escape the feeling that it (atheism) would be a rather ‘conservative’ point of view (that is, at least in title), and yet I’m constantly being called a liberal because of my social and political leanings. I'm just wondering what your views are on this.

PS: I’ll be gone for a few days but I will catch up with this thread when I return.

Views: 1621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The individual decides what is moral for him or her, which is the only way personal choices can be made morally. The mob does not get to vote on individual choices, only to empower the institution that monopolizes retaliatiory force against those that would coerce another individual.

Well I did read an article about blood banks in the UK once (I think) which was talking about how they started running out of blood supplies when they started paying people for their blood rather than running purely on donations, but it seems we would get different lessons from this story. You would see that charity and philanthropy work best when it is non-compulsory, whereas I see that greed is a corrupting influence on human nature. But its a fair point.

So how do you get large societies in your philosophy? Specifically, how do large cities get built? Where do the funds come from for sewage and water infrastructure, electrical infrastructure, transportation infrastructure, etc. etc.? Are these all to be paid for privately as well?

Atheism is neither liberal nor conservative, it is disbelief in the supernatural, and requires only slightly more thought than believing in fairys.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service