Is Atheism a chiefly liberal or conservative philosophy?

I know this may seem like a bit of an odd question but I’ve been wondering about it for the past few days and for some reason I can’t escape the feeling that it (atheism) would be a rather ‘conservative’ point of view (that is, at least in title), and yet I’m constantly being called a liberal because of my social and political leanings. I'm just wondering what your views are on this.

PS: I’ll be gone for a few days but I will catch up with this thread when I return.

Views: 1293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, waa waa, my child was born with autism and I can't afford the special services he needs to get him healthier and stronger, but I'm just a whiny little bitch, right? Fuck you, seriously fuck you Michael Tricoci. Not all of us are smoking, tattoo-getting. free-spenders and free-loaders. Some of us are real people with real fucking problems that you can't understand in your little fucking cocoon you've wrapped yourself in.
So, your personal situation and emotional investment in it seems to be the reason behind your political views. That's pretty much the way it goes with the mob. If we look at the situation as a whole and realize that it is not the responsibility of others to take care of you and yours, we can realize that it is moral and practical to have a government that only protects individual rights. We should encourage people to be financially secure and capable of taking care of other people they create, before they create them. I am not in a cocoon. I interact with many levels of society in a myriad of ways. I have been both poor and wealthy. And a large part of my job is to understand how different people representing different aspects of economics, politics, socioeconomic status, and culture relate to each other. And my performance is regularly evaluated by several different peer and superior clinical and administrative officials. And while I have compassion and empathy for those in pain, I can logically realize that we can minimize suffering by rewarding good and not need. But, I understand how you might feel better temporarily by blaming the successful businessman.
I have empathy for people who suffer, compassion for other humans, pity for your ignorance.......I am just educated and smart enough to know that the mob institutionalizing violence makes things worse. We should stop all nonretaliatory violence.
As a matter of fact, not, asshole. I was a left-leaner long before my son was diagnosed, you ignorant fuck. And you inherited your business, and undoubtedly your philosophy as well, so you are not a successful businessman, though maybe your daddy was. You are in a cocoon, and no matter how smart you think you are, there's a lot of very smart people here who say differently (and precious few willing to support you, I wonder why that is?). And you wouldn't know morality if it punched you in the face (which someone should). And what about people who were financially secure before the economy fell apart and they lost their jobs? Did you figure that in to your calculations?
It matters not when you became a bleeding heart liberal. It is still your responsibility to take care of yourself. My thoughts are my own. Stock markets wouldn't crash if there was separation of economy and state. And it is not anyone responsibility to cover another's losses. Yes, I figured that into my calculations. Now you're only upset. That cocoon metaphor is completely invalid, as I have explained I have a lot of experience in many different arenas, especially as they relate to this discussion.
Capitalist markets have sneaky, built in, cyclical depressions.  This is a known fact, and why almost all economies try to build in restrictions to limit bubbles, which have occurred quite often overhear, because of unrestricted growth.  Look it up.
I've looked it up. Corruption with government subsidies is responsible, not free trade. Free trade has not existed anytime near any bubble. Throughout history it is governmental intervention that has caused the financial crises.

Well, since everyone is out for themselves, then I am entitled to do whatever needs to be done to secure myself and my family? That is the moral law, right? And that leads us back to might makes right again, and another tight little circle with you that you won't comprehend.

And the markets crashed precisely because of the deregulation of the markets, but I'm sure you will revise history to tailor-make it to suit your own beliefs.

And one can be cocooned in a system. Park's point is a good one. You are woking within the most prosperous nation ever.

Might does not make right. You guys are repeatedly ignoring my central point and that is no one has the moral right to take from another by force.
I just remembered that virtually every so-called "right" we have has been fought for by the left and opposed by the right. Racial equality, gender equality, sexual-orientation equality, religious freedoms, etc. have all come from left-wingers fighting against those in power and wresting self-determination from the hands of those who would withhold it from them in the name of moral superiority. What has the right ever given us but racial discord, misogyny, bigotry, antagonism, class warfare, homophobia, and religious intolerance?

No, you missed it Wanderer~ those aren't rights~  they are entitlements.  The only 'rights' michael is talking about is to be alive, and to say "this is mine, not yours!"

Suspiciously selective, huh?

It's the natural state of man, everyone out for themselves, and man's life will be "nasty, brutish, and short". When we live in the anarchy MT espouses, he'll be one of the first to find out the hard way.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service