Is Atheism a chiefly liberal or conservative philosophy?

I know this may seem like a bit of an odd question but I’ve been wondering about it for the past few days and for some reason I can’t escape the feeling that it (atheism) would be a rather ‘conservative’ point of view (that is, at least in title), and yet I’m constantly being called a liberal because of my social and political leanings. I'm just wondering what your views are on this.

PS: I’ll be gone for a few days but I will catch up with this thread when I return.

Views: 1466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i find that the liberal mindset is sort of like "there is no such thing is truth, so i will believe what i want, don't try to make me change", whereas the conervative mindset is like "my truth is the only truth, so i will believe what i want, don't try to make me change". there's a commonality there, one that makes a scientifically informed sceptical atheism quite contrary to both of them, because our view should be "there is one truth, let's find out what it is, and embrace the change it may inspire in us".  i say "should be" because too often atheists will alternate between the other 2 mindsets.
As a liberal, I will completely disagree with your characterization of liberals. I, and certainly the lion's share of other liberals with whom I am familiar with, do believe that there is a truth of the matter. To be fair, both sides probably engage in a little of the mindset you attribute only to conservatives. However, my experience is that we liberals get there more honestly and with due process, i.e., looking for the truth regardless of what we wish it was and doing as you say, and say quite well I think - embracing "the change it may inspire in us", than those Libertarians. And to be fair still, both sides do this, but, well, one of us is more wrong and one of us is more right (its extremely unlikely that we are equally right/wrong), which means one of us does it better than the other. So I don't think things can be reduced very well at all to this epistemological point.
I'm so tired of all the responses of "it only means no belief in gods, nothing political"~ Thats not the point here.  The vast majority of atheists have liberal social/political views, and while correlation doesn't necessitate causation, (fundamentalist) religiosity also has a corollary impact on conservative social/political views.  It makes sense that if some moderate belief in a deity is normal (statistically, it is) and that having fundamentalist (extreme end of the spectrum) religious views makes a person vote more conservatively, that having no religious views (opposite end of the spectrum) would tend towards more liberal social/political views.  Now maybe we can argue about why that is, but the question is statistically relevant, regardless of the meaning of "atheist."
lol
How is it that every time I engage on this post, you all come out of the woodwork and start reeling in disgust? Because I make more sense than you guys can handle personally, I think. Just like when you tell a theist that there is no God. Meddlesome is capitalizing and bolding grade-school insults, for Christ's sake.

You started it by attacking me personally, not responding to my arguments. (Twice which is why I abandoned civilised debate in your case).

M.

What arguments? You simply lash out in emotional angst.

Arguments ? Try ALL of them that myself and several others have tried to explain to you.

Emotional angst ? You really are projecting!

Some reading material for youbefore you attempt to debate again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic -- use this in debates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem -- do not use this

M.

Tricoci

I’ve read many of your entries on here and I know very well that what Meddlesome and others have been saying is true. The way you express yourself is with a hyper inflated sense of ego. Case in point, your statement of “Because I make more sense than you guys can handle personally”, comes off as excessively arrogant. Had you said anything like that in the presence of the person you’d probably receive a black eye. These are people here, not minions, troglodytes or fools.

I should also point out that ‘you make sense to you’, the object of debate is to persuade on a level that allows your opponent the opportunity to realize the superiority of the point you’re trying to convey. You can’t just say “my point’s gonna be superior” say a bunch of crap and expect everyone to fall supine to your sharp wit, especially if you’re the only one who truly understands the intention of your statement. If your intended audience only comes away with a feeling like they’ve been talked down to then you’re probably not communicating your point very well, unless condescension is your original intent.

And really, you do sound condescending.

Thanks David :) Well Stated IMHO.

M.

“Because I make more sense than you guys can handle personally”, comes off as excessively arrogant.

As if me being superior to you guys can, in any way, be objectified~ Arrogance abounds!!!

PARDON the use of the word 'faggot,' its not my intent to use that slur, I just can't find such an appropriate picture without it~   Its meant to be satirical, not to be offensive.  My apologies (but I'm still posting it~ we're all adults here [at least physically])

You are quickly beginning to demonstrate, Park, that you may not be an adult.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service