Is Atheism a chiefly liberal or conservative philosophy?

I know this may seem like a bit of an odd question but I’ve been wondering about it for the past few days and for some reason I can’t escape the feeling that it (atheism) would be a rather ‘conservative’ point of view (that is, at least in title), and yet I’m constantly being called a liberal because of my social and political leanings. I'm just wondering what your views are on this.

PS: I’ll be gone for a few days but I will catch up with this thread when I return.

Views: 1369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Joel, good to see someone in here who's not old as shit (I'm talking to you, JohnD!) and might be taking an interest in these things.  I hesitate to address the first issue you mention because anger at the gov't is complex at best~ mind you, the government has little opportunity to create jobs other than through stimulating federal infrastructure projects or through grants~ its the private sector that hasn't been creating jobs because of uncertain markets.  That can be discussed more in depth if its wished.

Just a reminder, scientists talk about 'climate' change~ and while a cluster of extreme weather is unusual, it doesn't constitute 'climate' change~ its more likely pareidoilia, our minds willingness to see patterns in randomness.

Ya im just saying the politicians are not doing enough. I know they can not make jobs just poof out of thin air ,but they never stand up to the people who own them.I mean Obamas success hasn't been the economy even though he has had success, it is just dissapointing,but I would think it is climate change because we are using more coal more oil more dirty substances into our atmosphere.If we don't do something soon heat could get traped in the atmosphere and kill our crops.I'm just saying when everyones starving i'm going to be living in my basement with a shit load of canned food!lol
Atheism doesn't demand that one be of any particular type of political stripe. Most atheists are tho of a leftist variety. I am quite a libertarian atheist myself and so while I support and value all sorts of rights also supported by typical lefties, I find that nanny statist liberals indulge in beliefes that government can and will solve all manner of problems quite similar to magical thinking that theists reserve for a deity.

My difference w typical leftists is that they seem to prefer government control over a free market. A free market is simply a means by which people can decide on whatever agreed upon price that involved parties decide upon for voluntarily exchanging in goods and services. Government, on t other hand, is force. Just as it is wrong for any individual to force another to do something against their will, it is also wrong for a god or a government. And if one wants something to get done then one ought to either do it themselves or get others to do it voluntarily, rather than relying on government or god to get it done.

Again, I see it as magical thinking similar to that demonstrated by theists. Tho I find this to be a minority position among atheists.

JD,

2+2=4 is pretty simple too. That doesn't make it any less true. And while I doubt that you go around doing evil. Your vote likely is to endorse the physical coercion of others. Which is immoral. So, you say I am lame, simple and a prick. Brilliant. 

JD,

You are the one name calling like a child. Asshole? Come on. I am simply stating the truth that forcing others to give up their means of life so that other's can be provided for is fundamentally evil. A willful violation of another's rights is wrong.

If we strip our concepts to include only essentials, and no arbitrary attributes, then all of philosophy becomes easier to understand, including ethics. So, I would, in fact say that while our implicit ethics is the same, I am able to explicitly articulate its nature in a less complex and less contradictory fashion.

JD,

So, you think it is good to violate individual rights as a means to life. That is immoral any way you look at it. We can do better.

Your road analogy is arbitrary. Having rules and regulations is different than not having control over your own means of life.

JD,

You are evil in as much as you endorse physical coercion as a way of life. This is not hyperbole. We need not extra arbitrary complexity to see and face the truth of it.

JD,

You can call me what you like, sure. But the difference is I am calling you evil in as much as you advocate immoral force, literally. And you are calling me an asshole, metaphorically to mean, well, I'm not sure exactly, that you don't like me, that you think i am not compassionate, that your feelings are hurt, that I am selfish, that you think I'm mean to the suffering poor by not supporting them willingly.......

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.   ...H. L. Mencken,
In a society as complex as is modern society, to believe that any simplistic solution to complex problems can be found is beyond wishful thinking – it's delusional. The application of simple fixes to complex problems is like stabbing a watch with and ice pick and hoping it will keep better time.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. 

~Leonardo DaVinci

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. 

~E.F. Schumacher

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.  ~Albert Einstein

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.  ~Confucius

The greatest truths are the simplest: so likewise are the greatest men. 

~Augustus William Hare and Julius Charles Hare

Simplifying is a worthwhile goal in any endeavor but it doesn't follow that simple solutions can be applied to complex problems. That does not mean that simple solutions will never work just that there is a better chance they will not work or will make things worse
A lot of political positions (particularly hard-line ones) seem driven by rampant speculation, the assumption of unproven facts, and over-reliance on narrative (in other words, many of the very same things we as atheists reject about religion). Skepticism seems to drive towards a position where political positions are carefully weighed against the available evidence and an emphasis on practicality over narrative. Conservatism used to at least nominally occupy this space, but it's more difficult to argue that it does so now, at least in the US.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service