Reproduced with permission from Heretic (she's passed out in the bar drip tray). This needs an article post, not the comment wall. I am calling 50/50 on this - There is an awful lot of momentum and it may topple President Unpronouncible. The much (and unfairly) maligned Al Jazeera has been on the ball reporting on the situation. Arab Media Watch is good too. I wouldn't rely too much on western reporting here. The fact that the protests are very successfully defeating the blanket censorship in place indicates Iran as a whole now believes nothing from official channels. That is a very good indicator that this is something much bigger than anyone anticipated.

Some emails that have gotten out of Iran -

===

Church (Mosque) + State = Election Fraud

Iran's Interior Ministry leaked the following information today:

Mr. Mousavi (first reformist candidate) won 48% of the popular vote
Mr. Karroubi (second reformist candidate) won 28% of the votes
Incumbent President Ahmadinejad won 13% of the votes

These results are consistent with and support the large-scale public rioting and protesting that has erupted in Iran as a result of the Iranian government’s announcement of Ahmadinejad as winner of the 2009 election.

The mainstream media is not reporting this-this is only circulating on unofficial channels.

Source: A friend on A|N who lives in Iran now, info current as of this morning. He is an Iranian national.

This morning, he wrote,

Hi,
It's a fraud. Most of Iran did not take part in the last election (because elections here are not free and fair, you can only select within a few who are approved by the Guardian Council which is a establishment under the leader), the turnout was around 48% and Ahmadinejad managed to win with a small margin.

This time, the turnout was huge, more than 85% of people voted. The idea was: even though it is not a free election, but anybody is better than Ahmadinejad. People used to say: Having a donkey as president is better than having this monkey. But suddenly, they announce him as the winner with 85% of the votes. The election here is managed by the Ministry of Interior (meaning Ahmadinejad's government) and is supervised by the same Guardian Council whose members are appointed by the leader (who strongly supports Ahmadinejad).

This morning more than a 100 (yes, it is true: >100) journalists and people close to reformist candidates have been arrested. ALL reformist newspapers are closed. Both reformist candidates are under house arrest, all their websites are filtered, the government has shut down the SMS service and the mobile network was also down til just a couple of hours ago. This is a coup d'etat, This a***ole is not our president, we have not voted for him.

Just a couple of minutes ago some of the employees of the ministry managed to somehow leak the original results of the election out, and according to that Mr. Mousavi (the 1st reformist candidate) won 48% of the vote and Mr. Karroubi ( second reformist candidate) won 28% of the votes. Ahmadinejad had just won 13% of the total votes. Ahmadinejad is not our president, please pass this message to others you may find interested.

Take care,

[name redacted]

Truth needs to come out-this 'election' was a fraud.

Tags: election, fraud, iran, protest, revolt, the shooting has started

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

Noble thought - but beware the perils of bandwidth, especially if you get charged for excess usage. Besides, our Iranian friends are pretty tech savvy (dictatorships do that to you), our help is probably superfluous. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if you can though.

Looks like the real party has started.
It's a laff a minute. BBC teevee have just reported how undercover secret police are mixing in with todays protest crowds and randomly slashing people with razors. Takes several seconds to feel a sharp razor slash - plenty of time in a crowd for no one to notice you.
This movement has won a victory in a sense.

Previously, the government could claim itself to be elected by the people of Iran, a product of their revolution. Now, using force and secret police to put down mass protests, the government showed itself to Iranians and the world that it is just another autocracy. The victory is that the government's appearance of legitimacy falters.

Memories of the Shah and SAVAK come to mind. I'm no historian or political scientist, but I suspect that, if the military continues to support the current regime, I think the regime will stand. If the military withdraws support, then there will be change even if that change is window dressing.
I keep hearing reports that members of the Revolutionary Guard are refusing to follow some of their orders -- they won't turn on the protesters. It's hard to be certain what's going on right now, but if the military is fragmenting, that's huge.

To go along with that, EU nations who trade with Iran are meeting with Iranian ministers now (late June/early July), isolating them -- no one wants to do business with a cracked-up dictatorship, just look at Zimbabwe. This means that even if Ahmadinejad retains the presidency, his nuts are cut; the Guardian Council is split, the Revolutionary Guard is split, the people are against him (at least those in the cities who have some kind of media presence), and Russia just opened a corridor for the U.S. to move forces through Russia into Afghanistan, so there will be a U.S. presence on either side of Iran.

Not a good time to be a theocracy north of the Arabian Sea.

American Artist Inspires Iranians with Neda Portrait

An amazing thing happened over at Drawger , a website where illustrators post and discuss their work. Yesterday, artist Tim O’Brien posted the above portrait he drew of Neda Agha-Soltan, the woman whose death has become a symbol of the opposition movement after the contested election in Iran. As usual, other illustrators responded in the comments section. But through the magic of the internet, citizens in Iran also found it, and flooded the post with their own heart wrenching and inspiring comments . According to the artist, what is missing from the site are the hundreds of e-mails he received from people less comfortable posting in public. It makes you ponder the power of visuals, and how one image that strikes a chord can inspire a movement.
I've never been to Iran, but I've looked at the post-Revolution murals in Tehran; they remind me of the IRA/Protestant murals in Belfast (I've not been to Iran, but I did live in Ireland).

If the Iranians are as charged by their political images as the Irish were/are, we're going to see a lot more of her.
From the heresy files:

How to get yourself beat up by a black person in 1 easy step -

Mention the fact that black slaves, when compared to Irish slaves, were actually a priviliged class by comparison.

African slaves were very expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling). Irish slaves came cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African.

http://afgen.com/forgotten_slaves.html

This is not a hidden piece of history if you google it. It is an ignored piece of history. It's not gonna win friends, get votes or get you laid. So it's ignored.
Heh -- When you were writing this, I was writing how New Orleans was built by Irish labor because the land-owners didn't want to risk their slaves. You don't hear the word "slave" used much with the Irish; it's usually indentured servant or tenant farmer. All much of a muchness, they say.

There's some scholarship in the past 15 years looking at how much food Ireland was producing and exporting during the famine, which was more than enough to feed everyone; looking at the chain of policies leading up to that point; and making the argument that this was an attempt at a structural genocide.

When the Barack Obama/crazed chimp cartoon ran in the New York Post, I had my students follow the story and we looked at the history of comparing minorities to apes (most of my students are black, and freshman). They knew about black people being compared to apes, but were a bit shocked when I showed them cartoons of Irish being compared to apes, and a few 19th C. cartoons of blacks and Irish looking like apes.
I just checked the link and it worked for me, but is the attached image the one you're talking about?

I love that Douglass quote. When Douglass lectured in Dublin, he was welcomed by Daniel O'Connell with a state dinner; O'Connell was incredibly impressed with him. A woman from Newcastle, Ellen Richardson, raised the funds to buy out Douglass' freedom; I remember O'Connell being mentioned in regard to that when I lived there, but I can't find any records of who all chipped in.

It's funny; O'Connell's anti-slavery really divided the Irish in America. Some thought he should just focus on Irish issues -- it was the famine, after all. I've always wondered if that played a part in the basically tribal racism of the Irish in Boston in New York toward African Americans (Scorsese portrays it well).

I know there were other forces at play; the Irish weren't really considered "white" until about the time Al Smith became governor of New York. From before the famine, through the Civil War, and into the first part of the 20th C., Irish labor was often made to compete with slave, freed slave, and black labor in the north. W.E.B. DuBois writes about this -- the Irish and black merchant marines were segregated from the rest of the sailors, and they shared their quarters (and food, and songs). Much of New Orleans was built by Irish famine refugees because the work was dangerous and slave holders didn't want to risk their investments; they could pay the Irish next to nothing because they were desperate for work. (They couldn't acclimate to tropical New Orleans coming straight from Ireland, and died at a pretty rapid rate.)

So it always struck me as odd, this difference between the Irish history with African Americans, and the Irish American history with African Americans. There was a surprisingly high number of African Americans living in Dublin when I was there; many played basketball in Europe, and stayed on to live in Dublin. The Irish gave more in charity per capita to Africa than any other EU nation (and I think North America as well). It was as common to see portraits of Martin Luther King, Jr. as Kennedy. But in the U.S., the Irish Americans seem to have less a relationship with African Americans than their Irish ancestors.
Attachments:
Yeah, that's part of it. The quote is from Life and Times, and goes on to discuss the double-edged sword of racism, as the British were constantly facing problems that arose from their oppression of the Irish: "England is to-day reaping the bitter consequences of her injustice and oppression."

In some other places/speeches, Douglass had some interesting things to say about Irish Americans. In the 19th C., there was a fairly strong anti-Catholic sentiment in the U.S., and Douglass reflected that (he was Methodist). Thomas Carlyle was writing about how if slaves were freed in the West Indies, it'd become a "black Ireland," thinking that a class of people so long held in servitude could not possibly rule themselves and would only cause the rest of the world problems.

Douglass reflected similar sentiments towards Irish immigrants in the U.S., lamenting how they were indoctrinated with hatred against blacks when they first arrived; how they were made to believe that black "adversity was essential to their prosperity"; how blacks and Irish were forced into direct economic competition; and when an Irish man was first allowed to practice law in New York, but blacks weren't allowed to go to law school, he deplored how black Americans were treated worse than Irish "aliens" who "fill your jails and alms-houses as well as build them."

Yet the Irish in Ireland and Douglass were sympatico on all kinds of philosophical ideas on liberty. It honestly makes me wonder if things would have been different if slaves were allowed to learn how to read. Douglass got in trouble a few times for teaching slaves to read. The Irish had a long literary tradition before any of their famines or British occupation. Their native language and literature were suppressed, but they retained a literary facility. Given that, I can sort of see why some Irish would be allowed to practice law -- they came ready-made with a facility for language. At the same time slaves were kept from ever developing such a facility, which helped to justify not allowing them into higher education, etc. etc.

Man, I really rat-holed this thread... Can you tell I teach?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service