So we can picture you sitting at the table with us, how about telling us your favorite food and drink?

I'm Ruth and you'll find me eating a cup of vanilla Greek yogurt, constantly refilling my teacup from a gigantic pot of hot green tea. (I share, you're welcome to some tea. :D)

Tags: favorite, food

Views: 827

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mindy,

Have you had a chance to take a look at the discussion Read Any Good Books Lately?  What's on your Bookshelf?"  Sounds like you will be able to make some good suggestions.   I just finished reading The Girl Who Plays with Fire and am going to start The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest today.  Roz

Haha Roz, I literally set the book down that I was reading and turned on my laptop.  Guess what the book is?  "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest". :)

Wow, your daughter's response to CCD class is my maternal wet dream! My daughter is adopted and now 18. I fear that she will follow her birth mother into Pentecostal Christianity. My late husband and I raised her as a Jew (given his varying commitments, it was the least of many possible evils), so it would be easy for her to fall that way.

In large part because I live in the South, my daughter is anti-choice, so when she became pregnant by a boy from Craig's List whose name she could not remember, she was just old enough that I could not prevent her from keeping the baby. Now I financially support her and my grandson; as a widow I must say that it is tough!  

My daughter has ADD and was in a therapeutic boarding school before she dropped out in 10th grade; if there were any chance of her taking me seriously as teacher, I might have considered it. I look forward to hearing your updates!

Gloria

Just to clarify, Steve, my archetypal English maiden surname was Westcott. Then I married a Kenyan. We divorced two years later, and I kept Karei for years. However Kariuki's second wife did not like me having his last name, so I went to court and picked a name actually my own. I was trying to decide if I admired Susan B. Anthony more, or John Gardner (founder of Common Cause). My second husband suggested I hyphenate.

I like the part where you describe how the crumpet holds a lot of butter :)

Ah yes! Crumpets! What about malt loaf, also with lots of butter on top?
Along with all this food and drink, a little nostalgia. Radio comedy with "I'm sorry I'll read that again" "Round the Horne" "The Navy Lark" and others. Fond memories of childhood  Sunday afternoons when I laughed myself to tears. I listen again now online via BBC radio 4 Extra.

Good Old British nostalgia! What about the Goon Show, I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue, Just a minute etc. Priceless wit.

As for food... the same nostalgia takes me to my Welsh Grandmother cutting fresh brown bread in that characteristic welsh valley way, salted butter and caephilly cheese, school dinners in Scotland of lamb mince pies and chips, cream teas at The Orchard in Grantchester in the footsteps of Rupert Brooke.

Indeed. All the radio shows to be found online. You Tube even has a film of one Goon Show.

Had a Welsh girlfriend for a few years and enjoyed lavabread when visiting Neath. Have just remembered childhood Sunday teas when the shellfish man came calling. Picked winkles with a pin and thought they tasted like salty bogies. Try now to get at least one portion of jellied eels when I visit England (London and Essex).

Is there a literary equivalent of an earworm? Ever since I read

Picked winkles tasted like salty bogies

It's stuck in my head.

If only I could write poetry that had the same effect!
Dude! You'd control the world.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service