Have any of you ever met a intellect who believes in god? I saw one on TV who is suppose to be a quantum mechanic scientist. I'm not an expert but understanding quantum mechanics would make it imposable to believe in god. They simply can not be combined.

Tags: Intellect, and, god

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People who subscribe to the axiom that "Its not proper to discuss things that matter in polite company" would be the same who manage to pay lip service to spirituality while showing clear intellect in other areas.
Yes, because the belief in god is a social disease.
Life for me would be so much better if I could blame everything on god. When there is a tragic even such as a plane crash and one or two people survive, they always say " god was protecting me". No one ever ask them why they think god protected them while all around them people died.
I have had many college professors who were also theists. I once attended an excellent lecture by a historian Catholic priest/scholar about the migration of man which agreed with scientific theory. I have met some of these priest/scholars and I do have respect for their work. I have a feeling they have a box for god which they put him away in while they are working on their research and take him out for special occasions. If it weren't for Muslim scholars, we would know considerably less about African history. I may be more likely to meet these types, because my field is liberal arts.

As long as they keep their religion separate from their work, I don't have a problem with these types. However, if they start saying stupid things like god supported one side or another in a war, then I would totally dismiss them as a scholar.

On a side note, I had a xtain astronomy professor. He went through all sorts of mental acrobatics to prove god was in the formation of stars, etc. He was so odd in his mental aerobics that even the xtains found him strange. However, his class was easy, you know how it is.... :o)
Actually, there's nothing in Physics which defies the possibility in such a divine entity. Of course most would doubt it, but many Physicists consider it possible. Though most doubt the Christians have it. It's biology where things begin to get twisted up for any believers.
Max Planck, the founder of quantum mechanics, was devoutly Christian and believed in a very existential deity. He was essentially Neoplatonic about it though, defining God as the unintelligible. He believed that God was essentially a potential being.
But was he a Christian, Jew, Muslim or what?
Planck identified as a Lutheran, but he was probably more of a universalist; he respected other belief systems such as Judaism. Planck believed in certain abstractions that formed order in the universe and which gave his life meaning. He also had a respect for some of the major Lutheran teachings, though he lamented and despised their antisemitism. He considered these abstractions to be the God of Lutheranism.
The major reason for scientists like Planck remaining religious is to preserve a culture and philosophy with which the religion is associated. A lot of people feel that they are forsaking their heritage by adopting another religion.

A major reason, especially in Planck's case, to remain professedly religious is because of laws and persecution that one will face. Planck put his life in danger when protesting the Nazis.

Leonhard Euler, the greatest mathematician of all time imho, wrote long tracts defending the Bible and its inerrancy. If you read them closely, you'll see he uses arguments that no religious person, including Planck, would use though such as arguing that the senses can perceive God and truth. Ditto for Thomas Hobbes. In Euler's case, his religiosity can be easily explained. In Germany, a woman once asked him why he was so quiet. He responded "Ma'am, I come from a place where if you speak you are hanged."

My main objection to Planck here is his semantics. He changed the definition of God. He did this for cultural and historical reasons. I tried to hold religious views similar to Planck's for a long time, but I had to stop because I wasn't using the definition of God that most people recognized.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service