Have any of you ever met a intellect who believes in god? I saw one on TV who is suppose to be a quantum mechanic scientist. I'm not an expert but understanding quantum mechanics would make it imposable to believe in god. They simply can not be combined.

Tags: Intellect, and, god

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Francis Collins, the famous religious scientist, has established his Biologos foundation , where religious people who accept faith and science together, can meet to discuss things. I have visited their website and it contains some irrational stuff. Thats what happens when faith gets the best of reason.
I think you'd like a book written by michel shermer. The title is WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE WEIRD THINGS.
People who are very intelligent have to kind of block off the part of the brain that deals in reality. Mr Shermer explains this beautifully. I too, am amazed how even people of normal intellect can believe in a god. I believe these people have just never stopped and thought out what they really have faith in. They seem to think that belief in something that has no objective evidence is a good thing. michelle
John, whether a mathematician sees 'god' in mathematical equations or a physicist sees 'god' in universal forces, I see this as exactly the same as xtians seeing a creator-god being in everything they see. Why can't mathematical equations just be the language scientists use to describe abstract and physical phenomena? And why can't forces just be something that has an effect on physical bodies? They are nothing more than what they are - anything else is a delusion of the human mind.
I tried to reply in the thread to your response:

"If there is a god he will be some sort of mathematical formula"

then I tried to edit my response and I couldn't even figure out how to do that. Is there a section for testing for those of us with trainer wheels? And to think I work in the IT industry! Lol...
Several people have told me I was wrong about the impossibility of an true intellectual believing in God. I have tried and tried to figure it out. I am going to say it again. True intellectuals could not possibly believe that the bible is the true and actual word of god. Some practice religion for social purposes, Work
etc. But are not fundamentalist. They can't believe all of the Bible. I read it when I was only 7 and I could see the BS even then,
My sister's boyfriend is brilliant. He is currently working on a degree in computers(I'm not sure exactly what) at MIT. Yet he is a christian that believes what the bible is completely true.
There are no conflicts between computers and the bible. Astro physics, quantum physics etc make it imposable to believe in both.
Bible :
pi=3.0

Computers :
pi=3.1415926535897932384626433832795 and counting....
He is still a very intelligent person, in high school he graduated near the very top. The other day he said something about the Middle East stabilizing or something I wasn't really paying attention. I asked him why he thinks it will and he said because it says in the bible.
It is sad how he believes in such ridiculous stories and prophecies but in areas other than religion he is brilliant.

I realize his field of study and his religion do not conflict with each other.
I’ve thought about this quite a bit in the past, and have the notion that the idea of god/no god is not the issue with “true intellectuals”. When contemplating the nature of a supreme being, some real smart people, with whom I’ve had this conversation, do the “rational” thing and fashion a “god” consistent with their own perception of the cosmos. God is a “force” or “prime mover” or some other nebulous concept (a math formula?), the existence or nonexistence of which seems somewhat beside the point.
It comes down more on their inability to abandon faith... the emptiness of not having faith in something...that connective “thing”... that to not have faith in “it” or in something leaves a void that their pure intellectualism can not fill to their satisfaction.
So, they end up professing faith in “something out there” because, being intellectual, or rational, or scientific, they know that they can not know everything, so they choose to fill that “not knowing space” with faith. It is not so much the presence of a god that they need, it is faith that they can not bring themselves to abandon.
Very Good!
Asa, I share your observation. And I believe that, as you've indicated, the feeling that it's largely "beside the point," allows them to conclude that the issue is just not important enough to allow it to intrude on, and divert their focus and energy, from what ever it is that forms the locus of their interests. And whatever comfort they gain from it, is more of a barely acknowledged 'guilty pleasure,' than any well defined traditional belief. In fact, most are probably 'soft atheists,' or agnostics, if pressed to think about it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service