All,

This poll is yet more evidence of the truly appalling state of science education in the United States.

The fact that the number of creationists in the U.S. is going up, however slightly, is proof that the public isn't absorbing critical thinking, reasoning and logic skills by osmosis - we need to be teaching them in the public school system, and with rigor and consistency, from grade one through high school.

====

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

"Despite the many changes that have taken place in American society and culture over the past 30 years, including new discoveries in biological and social science, there has been virtually no sustained change in Americans' views of the origin of the human species since 1982. The 46% of Americans who today believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years is little changed from the 44% who believed this 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question."

Views: 340

Replies to This Discussion

We were only required to take up to freshman Biology.  Everything else was elective.

Yeah that's how I remembered it, take it and get that 'out of the way' so to speak. Really sad...

Yep.

I would advise this person to contact Freedom From Religion Foundation. They have much experience n this type of situation.

The issue is one of culture, and not necessarily quality of education.  Most American schoolchildren are taught basic biology, including evolution.  They have a passing familiarity with the ideas.  They are not ignorant of the ideas, but rather, they disbelieve them, because they are taught in churches that evolution is false.  While assuredly our schools can and should be improved, the fundamental problem is with parents and the broader community that students face outside of school.

I'd like to know why God taught us the 10 commandments (10 fingers) and nothing about the Earth revolving around a Sun plus galaxies and billions upon billions of other stars in something called the "universe"...and God/Creator should also know about, but didn't mention: electrons, photons and neutrinos, etc.??? Maybe we should ask those 46%!

Deirdre Simone(my first post)

Pretty scary that almost 1/2 of the citizens of our country are fucking morons.   Sad too.

well I would not say morons. A good percentage of the religious are intelligent. I was a Christian at one time and don't consider myself a moron. I was gullible and conditioned to believe what I did. It is very tough to overcome when you are not taught anything else in early childhood.

Okay, not all of them are morons.  But once someone has heard scientific evidence and heard silly nonsense and STILL believes in creationism, some part of their thinking has "the dumb".

I asked how a physician could believe such things and be a good physician, I was told... oh well, they compartmentalize.... that's not what I'd call it but there ya go!

That's twice you made me chuckle today Melinda!

That is the problem. They don't look at science. Science is inspired by Satan as some of the crazier ones believe. The rest are afraid to even doubt what they believe because of the fear of hell mindset. 

Not all Christians are creationists either.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service