All,

This poll is yet more evidence of the truly appalling state of science education in the United States.

The fact that the number of creationists in the U.S. is going up, however slightly, is proof that the public isn't absorbing critical thinking, reasoning and logic skills by osmosis - we need to be teaching them in the public school system, and with rigor and consistency, from grade one through high school.

====

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

"Despite the many changes that have taken place in American society and culture over the past 30 years, including new discoveries in biological and social science, there has been virtually no sustained change in Americans' views of the origin of the human species since 1982. The 46% of Americans who today believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years is little changed from the 44% who believed this 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question."

Views: 338

Replies to This Discussion

But Scott, it's so much easier - and more FUN! - to believe in Godsey & J-Boy & angels & ghosts & goblins & all that cool stuff.

Also, you don't have to learn icky stuff like Math, too.

Oh, and also Physics, too, which is nasty & hard!

Church is SOOOO Easy-Peasey.

That is incredible gullibility. If I had a lot of money I would get out of the U.S. even at my age. I would find the most reasonable country and be gone.

It is one of the many reasons that I voted with my feet back in 2003.  I now live as a legal resident in Costa Rica, where the cost of living is much lower, people are much more reasonable and thoughtful, and the democracy and political system still functions.  And religious belief, with the intolerance it entails, become less with every passing year.  The weather sure beats Arizona summers and Minnesota winters, and if you are retired and have a provable income of $1,000 a month, you could come here too.  And yes, you can actually live here on that amount of money.  

Well I have more than 1,000. Maybe you can send me more information to my email address such as language problems , living conditions, or money transfers to banks. I have my pension going into my bank account.My email is lynchj678@gmail.com

Will reply off forum.

It's always easier to be stupid than sensible. The ironic thing is that once you get some scientific understanding, the new things you learn never stop due to scientific progression, much more interesting. With religion you just have to have the same thing drummed into you year after year. I speak from experience, although I never believed the 6 day rubbish.
It is trully tragic, that in the 21st century western world, that many people are so ill educated and/or stupid to believe such primative superstitions.

Surely the scientific teaching of evolution is in the American schools syllabus !?

Or are many of the teachers of science actually creationists, who present evolution as some dismissible alternative idea to their 6-day myth. 

Has anyone ever done a survey to find out what the beliefs of school science teachers are??

It isn't always the teachers but, the administration.  In one of my yahoo groups we have a science teacher who was told by the principal that he would not be allowed to teach "that evolution crap"

Hmm. Is there not a national syllabus that lists and insists on what should be taught in science classes---regarding which inspectors patrol the nation to check that the syllabus is being properly followed?

Nope, not in the US.  Schools are run by State standards.  The closest we come is the "No Child left Behind" Law that Bush pushed through.  That is hardly a good law.

Now, there's a pity Susan.
Here, in Britain a group of senior scholars in education is responsible for setting up and maintaining a nationwide curriculum for schools to follow. 
Ultimately, the end of school examinations (at age 15/16) test the schoolchildren, and the marks accorded will depend on what they have learned and been taught  to say. 
Everybody therefore has exposure to the fundamental tenets of evolution--unfortunately we also know that some teachers (like few Fundies and numerous Muslims) teach evolution alongside a background of 6-day creation mythology and allow the pupils to 'believe what they please'. 

I was replying to a similar thread earlier today in regard to this issue, we had a coach in my high-school who was responsible for teaching football, driver's education and life sciences and he used to complain that he didn't go to college for life sciences and didn't like having to teach it... I remember only one 'science' teacher throughout my school years who had a degree in the subject matter he was expected to teach, which was Chemistry. I remember his class fondly, but it is the only true science class that I remember having attended. 

I asked my mother after having responded to this thread earlier, if she remembered us having science teachers at all, or it being an actual requirement, she does not...I thought perhaps my memory of it all was tainted but she and my daughter assured me that these subjects were treated as 'electives' here...

I remember you had to take 1 math, 1 history class, 1 English/literature class and so on and I don't remember being forced to elect to take a science, I took some other electives such as music theory and business math and my daughter reminds me that we could elect to take physical education back then... sad...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service