Well, this sucks. 

Citing a crisis of national identity and mass confusion among Americans about their nation’s motto, the House on Tuesday voted on a resolution “reaffirming ‘In God We Trust’ as the official motto of the United States.”

One of the biggest crises we have in this country and indeed the world is people's blind faith in magical, invisible people and imaginary friends.  People are killing and dying over their belief in gods.  Why would the government perpetuate these childish, dangerous beliefs.  In addition, this silly motto makes us sound like a country full of stupid rubes.  Imagine a country wit the motto "In Spiderman we Trust"      

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Karl,

Well said! I sometimes feel that we are still in the Dark Ages. Nonsense like this says everything about the obstacle that religion is in American society, and indeed the rest of the world. I would compare this to fiddling while Rome burns.

sounds like something Hilter would have ... wait that's what he always did.. n' his volks...

shit, how about in god failing i trust and know.. lookie here:
http://freeinternetpress.com/story/The-BombMakers-Of-Jena-Suspects-...

"'In God We Trust.'  It is the choicest compliment that has ever been paid us, and the most gratifying to our feelings.  It is simple, direct, gracefully phrased; it always sounds well -- In God We Trust.  I don't believe it would sound any better if it were true."

-Mark Twain, "Mark Twain's Notebook"

What do you expect in a democracy that is a majority christian that doesn't respect individual rights? 

What really kills me is how many theists will complain about the waste of time and taxpayer's money when a group like the FFRF files a lawsuit over a violation of the establishment clause of the Constitution, but then applaud when Congress wastes time and taxpayer money on something like this.  It is bad enough that they wasted time and money to implement such a motto back in the 1950s, but it is even worse that they took time out of their day to re-affirm a motto that already exists! 

As long as Congress is wasting time re-affirming legislation that already is in place, how about re-affirming the First Amendment?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service