Please participate in this poll. When I did  there were only 11% in favor of taking "In god We Trust" off of our money.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the thought behind it (getting the christian masses to agree), I just don't like the way suggested to go about it. To me, it's almost an admission of their god's existence, or rather, lending them support for their delusions. I don't want to trick anyone into an action like this. I can't even pretend to admit that their craziness is real, even if it's just to them. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the eye.

I LOVE the typo theory, though. I have no doubt that is what they meant. I will insert Ls on all of my paper money.
yes you are right. its like talking to a rock, a lot of them are forever to capitalism & religion, the money that is in G$DS hands, its about greed and the after life. they think the money is holy and the money is theres, look on back of the dollar theres a pyramid that haves a floating eye, thats G?DS eye the pyramid is the stock markets witch is a scheme of capitalism, or pyramid scheme, that why capitalism (unless highly regulated) dose not work, all the wealth & power will end up with a very flew, thats why we are in a mess now, because of bushes deregulations. this coutry is... WE the People, For the People, By the People. not G?D
"In God we trust" does not endorse religion in the same way that "I am a baseball team supporter" does not endorse baseball because it doesn't specify any particular team.

There are a slew of related analogies that can help to make clear why this phrase is an endorsement of superstition over reason.
I voted ('Yes', obviously). It is a symbol of Christianity's quest to steer this country toward theocracy just like the addition of 'under God' to the Pledge of Allegiance (don't get me started on that one).

I like the typo theory and imagine that I will be using that from this day forward. *chuckles*
can we say "over G?D" to the pledg of allegiance, we are over g?ds and supernatral crap we are real
That is an interesting idea. Never thought of making a deliberate non-theist statement by changing "under" to "over." Most of the time people will not notice the word change.

I just refuse to recite the pledge on principle. There is no need to pledge allegiance to one's country. One's actions display their patriotism.
Well it should be taken off the currency. I believe it was entered as bill by a right wing religious conservative in the 1950's during Senator McCarthy's :commie: hearings. No one wanted to be called a communist by not going along.
1957 on paper money. But according to the US Treasury, it was on coins back in 1864, starting with the 2¢ coin. For those who think they can get away with the "it could mean any god' argument, point them directly to the treasury website to see its origins:

From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania, and read:

Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances. One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in some form on our coins.

You are probably a Christian. What if our Republic were not shattered beyond reconstruction? Would not the antiquaries of succeeding centuries rightly reason from our past that we were a heathen nation? What I propose is that instead of the goddess of liberty we shall have next inside the 13 stars a ring inscribed with the words PERPETUAL UNION; within the ring the allseeing eye, crowned with a halo; beneath this eye the American flag, bearing in its field stars equal to the number of the States united; in the folds of the bars the words GOD, LIBERTY, LAW.

This would make a beautiful coin, to which no possible citizen could object. This would relieve us from the ignominy of heathenism. This would place us openly under the Divine protection we have personally claimed. From my hearth I have felt our national shame in disowning God as not the least of our present national disasters.

To you first I address a subject that must be agitated.

As a result, Secretary Chase instructed James Pollock, Director of the Mint at Philadelphia, to prepare a motto, in a letter dated November 20, 1861:

Link: http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-tru...

Any god my ass.
In the United States, the motto first appeared on a coin in 1864 during strong Christian sentiment emerging during the Civil War, but In God We Trust did not become the official U.S. national motto until after the passage of an Act of Congress in 1956.

-- Wikipedia
Yes, on some coins since 1861, but not on all coins until 1957 (law passed in '56).

As a side note, you can get atheist silver certificate dollars (1935 series) for about $3 each on eBay. They make a great gift for your atheist friends! :-)
I just wanna know where this "god" character got his degree in economics!
Haha! What? "The motto has historical significance?" What historical significance, exactly? 1957 was the first appearance of that motto on our money! I doubt American Graffiti and In-N-Out had anything to do with printing any slogan on our money.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service