Is it wrong to remove the word 'god' from your cash? In God We Trust was first used on paper currency in 1957. What do you think about removing it?

Tags: god, religion

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it should be removed. It's a clear violation of the first amendment of our Constitution. I also think the phrase "under god" should be removed from our pledge(s) - America's pledge and Texas' pledge (and any other states who may have included it). In the case of Texas, it was only included a few years ago. What with that and the idiots trying to work ID into our science curriculum, I feel like my state is constantly taking steps back toward the dark ages.
Thinking about it -- our paper money should be re-done from scratch to benefit the blind. That might be a good time to design god OUT of the stuff.
The blind are actually able to develope systems for managing their paper money. They fold one, five and ten dollar bills differently, and the same goes for the rest of the demoninations. For example, a blind person might fold a one dollar bill in half vertically, a five dollar bill horozontally, and a ten dollar bill diagonally. There are other methods a blind person might use for keeping track of paper money, if they use paper money at all.

I agree with your point, I just thought I'd post an interesting fun fact. =)
I'm surprised more Christians don't see the motto on currency as being against the teachings of the Bible. You've got the story in about Jesus overturning the tables of the money changers. There is also the quote that "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God".

I don't understand why people feel so adamant that the motto be on the currency in the first place. What purpose does it serve? Does it remind people to thank God before buying stuff? "In Jesus' name, I buy this Coke Zero and bag of Doritos".
Let's not forget how Jesus fells about money in general.
As I understand it, "In God We Trust" was added to money because of the Red Scare. It was supposed to help unite Americans against a common enemy. There's no reason for it to be there anymore except to give Christians reason to claim this country was founded "under God," which is of course untrue.
It needs to be removed. It gives a false sense of theocracy. It is offensive. In god we rust.
Get rid of it

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service