My response to Todd: to claim, as you do by writing, “insulting these people for being upset about abortion or gay rights”. 

Those who oppose Christian Taliban do so through language. These are not insults or put-downs or trivialization or demonizations, they are descriptors: abortion and gay rights are not political questions to be answered by politicians, they are individual human rights and violence is not used as a tool to achieve these aims, language is the tool.

Individuals have the responsibility to live within the laws of the land and if one disagrees with the laws, then they can work to change them. We have already asked the question about whether abortion is legal or not and the Supreme Court decided women have the right to control their own bodies. Obviously, there are those who disagree with the abortion decision and they have the right and responsibility to work to change the law. 

Look at the history of anti-abortion believers; they include assaults, blocked access of women to health care, name calling, and murder, all crimes against people, in addition to destruction of property, through arson, and vandalism. 

Remember the crimes committed by those who took part in illegal behaviors and defend the use of whatever means necessary to achieve their ends? They perceived themselves as justified to commit homicide in defense of unborn children. This is only a partial list but do their crimes justify their means? Eric Rudolph, James Kopp, Paul Jennings Hill, Scott Roeder, Michael Griffin and Peter Knight. Do you hear the silence of the religious in response to their crimes? I do! Do the ends justify the means? 

Christian terrorism is a political weapon used against women’s rights and Gay rights.  Christian Taliban members are willing and able to use violence to achieve their ends. 

Does this make any sense? In my opinion, it is my responsibility and right to describe their attitudes, behaviors, speech and action as I see them. No insult intended. Descriptions based on facts are not insults.

Views: 256

Replies to This Discussion

Oh Jeez! We had a horrible mess in this area with the Aryan Nations which the SPLC successfully bankrupt. No, the radical right are not nice people. This is simply further evidence of some bad days ahead. One thing is for sure, feeling helpless and hopeless gets me no where, so the only alternative I see, for me at least, is to get really clear on what happens, who causes problems and how, and build my principles on firm footings. Prepare for the storm and find peace and joy everywhere I can find it. 

That has to be the attitude in order to live a happy life Joan.  I fall into the worry -about- my kids- so- much kind of thinking that I have to stop and tell myself that everything is alright today for me and mine, find joy in my family, nature (including animals!), my pets, a good book, etc.  We could literally drive ourselves insane if we let thinking about all the morons and horrible people in the world into our lives each day.

You're right, booklover! All the love, care and joy that you give and receive today is as essential as good food - you'll all be stronger and healthier because of it.

Oh yes, and at peace. Well, it is past midnight, I'm off to bed and hope you, too, have a splendid weekend. 

Sounds like a nice life and one well balanced. I like your photo, very blue eyes. 

Hope you have a good weekend with lots of nice, loving, happy moments. 

Thanks Joan.  I tease my husband because I have blue eyes, and he has beautiful (huge!) brown eyes, and brown eyes are supposed to be dominant, but both our kids got my blue eyes.  So I tell him I'm the dominant one. lol.

Yes, I do appreciate my life, including the friends I've made here on AN.

Prepare for the storm and find peace and joy everywhere I can find it.

Words to live by.

Sentient, I put a nice bucket of compost over your potato onions, or maybe I told you that already. Do you have big projects this weekend or is the weather pulling you inside? 

Good night everyone. 

That

For the Radical Right, Obama Victory Brings Fury and Fear

Thanks to Sentient Biped. Important information that should not be ignored. It becomes even more important that many of our political and economic problems be resolved with policies that empower individuals to stand for fairness and justice. The Religious Right presents a powerful challenge, but not an impossible one. 

Pro-Active action focusing on such things as getting off fossil fuels, developing sustainable, clean, safe energy alternatives, dispersal of energy sources over wide ranges in order to reduce the risk of dam failures, and electric grid failures and reduce nuclear energy until and unless safe storage of spent fuel develops. 

Also growing flowers.  And trees.   :)

“I hope we don't have to start a war to siphon off able bodies into the military and keep them from agitating here.”

Via  Sentient Biped 

Sentient, would it not be nice to see all our gun-toting military bring their weapons home, take off their hand grenades, and pick up shovels, hammers, screwdrivers, saws and work to clean up all the storm damages that has occurred throughout the country and turn those pieces of ground into green zones, bird and wildlife zones? 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service