In a universe devoid of meaning... Why give a shit about the future of humanity?

Other than the instinctual drives to procreate and survive, we are each saddled with the awesome task of creating meaning.

We had discussed on another thread "Why do we have a 'need' for the human race to continue after we are gone?" After all, every single life on the planet will end in one lifetime regardless of annihilation. Is it because of love for our children? Is it an extension of our survival instinct? Why do so many of us (atheists) make, "improving humanity" a component of our life meaning?

Views: 162

Replies to This Discussion

Do you know what I mean? What a killer "think tank" resource! This is hands down, the smartest group of people I have ever encountered. You know that IQ blog I did (sort of tongue in cheek)? It feels like the rest of the world hasn't arrived at square one yet and this group is already on square ten!
Yup -- that's us. A bunch of squares!
Square pegs!
I thought of that earlier but then figured I'd get kicked out of the Feminist Atheists group.
actually, it seems to me so far that feminists are some of the most sexually comfortable women ever!

They don't let men going around having all the kinky fun to themselves ;)
eh... it passes the time. While we're stuck on this goddammed rock we might as well feel good and help other people feel good too.
it passes the time

Lmao... beats TV
goes both ways too. tv only goes one.
Well, there it is.
I have cited this all over the place - but 70,000 years ago there were 2,000 humans world-wide. We didn't survive by being selfish back then - no way. And, here in modernity, our principles have many railing against the very notion we could be responsible for the extinction of a species through our actions to the extent that we create laws protecting endangered species.

Blue whales - pre-whaling - numbered 275,000 - down to 2,000 in the early sixties and now up to 5,000. Still, a very sad statistic - but evidence of an extraspecies sensibility.

I am all for understanding human evolution. I do wonder, however, if understanding that our brain/genes package has evolved to support the continuation of our genes is sufficiently a "meaning" to our life in the goal-less Universe. Yet, why should a "logical argument" for not caring for the future of humanity be more meaningful than a naturally evolved propensity to care for that future? 

Existence before essence; we are what we are not only from our own personal choices but also from choices of our ancestors and the selection processes of evolution on our species. Is there meaning in this...?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
25 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web

Music by Viking Trance with video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Video London (UK) 2014. Viking Trance Radio www.vikingtrance.com Viking Trance buy link
33 minutes ago
Man boob posted a status
"CHECK OUT THE SONGS I UPLOADED ON MY PROFILE WOOOOOOOOO"
1 hour ago
Man boob posted songs
1 hour ago
Rick posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Rick posted a status
"Pondering....pondering......pondering...."
1 hour ago
Jonathan Tweet replied to Freethinker31's discussion Are Atheists too judgmental??
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post I am offended
3 hours ago
Vangelis replied to Vangelis's discussion Declaration of Atheism
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Isn’t it time to save the the U.S.A. from the South?
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo posted a discussion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to matthew greenberg's discussion ISIS - a conservative paradise in Iraq
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service