I know we've all read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi over the years, but if you were allowed to keep just three books, which three would you choose? I had to really think about it to narrow my choices to just three, but here they are:

"Dune" by Frank Herbert
"Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkien
"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

Since I'm still reading books by new authors, my list may change over time. If you want to explain why you chose the books you did, I'm curious and would love to know.

Views: 231

Replies to This Discussion

The Naked God (Really all of the NIghts Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton)

The Dark Beyond the Stars <---- kickass

Revelation Space/Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds.

Snow Crash was pretty good too.

Robert Silverberg, Star of Gypsies (read that about 6 times in the span of 2 years)

Neal Stephenson, The Diamond Age, or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer

Robert Heinlien/Spider Robinson, Variable Star (Found it in the bargain bin... absolutely the best dollar I will ever spend)

Seems to me I picked up Variable Star not long after it first came out in hardback.  After being so long not having heard Heinlein's voice, that was so very refreshing!  Sure, in a lot of ways, it was a redux of some of RAH's juvenile novels (Time for the Stars comes to mind), but it still had its own identity ... and I am really, really glad of that.

Snow Crash

Cryptonomicon

Ender's Game

Forgot about "Ready Player One".  Amazing.  I'd move it into my 2nd place.  If you happened to grow up in the 80's you should read it.  Even better on audio.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service